Study agronomy online with tutor support
What is agronomy?
Agronomy is the growing of field crops for use as human food, animal feed, fibre, oil seed production and some industrial products. Agronomy includes crops such as wheat, and cotton but does not cover vegetable, fruit, forestry and flower crops.
What will you learn?
You will learn about the biological and physical factors related to crop production. This online agronomy course covers crop physiology, plant breeding, pest control, soil science and management, crop rotation and tillage and more. The course is self-paced study so you can study at home, at your own pace.
Who is this online agronomy course suitable for?
This online agronomy course is suitable for you if you are interested in or currently involved in large or small-scale agronomy or related fields such as soils, seeds, agriculture, post-harvest management and more.
Agronomy course aims:
- Develop your understanding and confidently describe the nature and scope of agronomic practices within your country and others.
- Discuss what is grown, where it is grown and the diversity of practices used to grow a wide range of crops.
- Learn how to identify factors that affect the success of a crop; including soil condition, climate factors and biological influences such as pests and diseases.
- Clearly describe significant practices used by farmers in the growing of an agronomic crop; including the management of soils, water, cultivations and crop protection.
- Explain how to achieve successful seed germination for different agronomic crops under different conditions in the field.
- Discuss practices used to farm cereals for harvest and sale as cash crops.
- Discuss practices used to farm broadleaf crops for harvest and sale as cash crops.
- Understand the use of different harvesting equipment and techniques including post harvest handling for a range of different crops.
- Demonstrate your knowledge by producing a management plan for a crop from planting to post harvest handling.