This course introduces students to the fundamentals of beef cattle management including husbandry, breeding, production, feed lots, herds and more. It aims to help students analyse and make informed decisions about the management requirements of beef cattle. You should be able to describe and explain the principles and practices of beef cattle husbandry and management.
- Describe the nature and scope of Beef Cattle Production.
- Compare different beef production systems
- Discuss beef cattle breeding and its significance to production.
- Develop a sound, but general introduction to animal health.
- Describe significant parasites that infect cattle and determine appropriate management of these and related problems.
- Recommend appropriate provision of feed for commercial beef production.
- Develop a management strategy for a commercial beef herd.
- Explain feed lot management for beef production.
- Explain Stud herd management for beef production.
- Determine significant management requirements for a beef production enterprise, in order to attain and sustain a viable economic performance