The study of horse behavior is central to understanding how to train horses. Equine behavioural knowledge is at the basis of any successful horse trainer and system such as natural horsemanship.
This horse behavior course examines horse behaviour from a psychological approach and covers subjects such as genetics, environmental, social behaviour, reproductive behaviour and learning and training.
- Identify factors affecting equine behaviour.
- Describe the influence of genes on equine behaviour.
- Explain how horses perceive and how they respond to various stimuli
- Explain how horses communicate and the nature of their social organisation.
- Explain the sexual and reproductive behaviour of the horse.
- Describe the different ways that horses learn and how this can be applied to the training environment.
- Explain how and why behavioural problems occur and how they can be prevented.