Ecotourism has emerged out of growing interest in outdoor activities – from mountaineering and birdwatching, to low impact bushwalking. Establishing such an enterprise requires an understanding of a wide range of issues including: Destinations, Safety, accomodation options, transport, legal considerations, general management, staff and training, the tour desk and marketing approaches
This course develops your ability to establish and operate an ecotourism enterprise.
- Describe the scope of ecotourism experiences available.
- Determine management issues related to ecotourism activities/enterprises, giving due consideration to environmental and ethical concerns.
- Develop in the learner an awareness of ecotourism destinations in existence and possibilities (in the learner’s country).
- Explain the management and operation of an ecotourism office.
- Explain the management of ecotourist accommodation facilities including:
- camp sites
- Identify catering options for different ecotourism activities.
- Identify legal and statutory requirements for the establishment and operation of an ecotourism enterprise.
- Identify/establish safety precautions/requirements/procedures for an ecotourism enterprise.
- Plan for an ecotourism activity.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of modules. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Select each module below to learn more.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Nature and Scope of Ecotourism
- Definition of ecotourism
- Negative ecotourism
- Principles of ecotourism
- Recreation and the environment
- recreational impacts on the environment
- ethical and legal concerns
- code of practice for ecotourism operators
- incorporating ecotourism principles into activities
- visitor guidelines
- planning for minimal impact
- quality control
- The ecotourism market
- what do ecotourists want?
- trends in international tourism
- understanding the needs of the consumer
- consumer expectations
The Tour Desk/Office
- Office procedures
- providing information
- employment prospects in ecotourism
- business letters
- telephone manner
- Types of accommodation facilities
- layout of facilities
- Introduction to catering
- accepted practice for service facilities
- storing and preserving food
- National Parks
- land use/planning restrictions
- code of practice
- The safety strategy
- first aid
Planning an Ecotourism Activity
- A special project where the student plans out an ecotourism activity including:
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Thea Roberts B.Comm., M.A.
Liselle Turner Bachelor of Business (Marketing), Diploma in Hospitality Management, Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
Chad Osorio B. Psych. Juris Doctor
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.