Do you need to improve your crop yields? Correct irrigation set and management may be what is required. Learn to management water on your property / workplace with improved efficiency and design. This is a sound foundation course introducing you to the basics of irrigation design and management.
- Explain the significance of soil in irrigation.
- Explain how to determine when to irrigate in agricultural situations.
- Manage irrigation in agricultural situations.
- Explain the significance of different aspects of moving water including: drainage, pumps, filters, storage, recirculation, and re-use.
- Select an appropriate irrigation system for a given agricultural situation.
- Explain the principles of design for a simple irrigation system.
- Design a simple irrigation system.
- Oversee the installation of an irrigation system.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 10 Lessons in this course:
Introduction to Irrigation
- Objectives of Irrigation
- Sources of water
- Water quality and remedies
- Sediment, turbiity, colour, hardness, corrosion, iron etc.
- Bacteriological impurities
Soil Characteristics and Problems
- Understanding soils
- Different Soils suit different purposes
- Chemical aspects of soil
- Physical aspects of soil
- Soil and Water
- Types of soil moisture
- Transpiration and wilting point
- Identifying the soil
- Improving the soil
- A fee-test for estimating soil moisture level
Estimating Plant Needs and Irrigation Scheduling
- When to irrigate
- Signs to look for
- Timing of irrigation
- Measuring water available to plants
- Calculating field capacity
- Calculating Permanent wilting point
- Soil water budget
- Crop Water needs
- Effect of climate on crop water needs
- Measuring evapotranspiration
- Pan evaporation method
- Theoretical method – Blaney-Criddle Method
- Influence of crop type on water needs (crop factor)
- Calculating crop water needs
- Irrigation system efficiency
- Water volumes and duration
- Improving permeability during construction
- Improving surface drainage after construction
- Layout of drains
- Dams and water storage
- Soil degradation
- Soil acidification
- Soil compaction
- Chemical residues
- Waste water treatment using reed beds
- Suitable plants
Types of Irrigation Systems
- Categories of irrigation systems
- Sub-surface and surface irrigation
- Flood irrigation systems
- Pressurised irrigation systems
- Drip and sprinkler irrigation
- Portable, solid and semi-permanent
- Mechanised sprinkler irrigation systems
- Traveling irrigators, Centre pivot, Linear move, Powered side roll
- Fixed sprinkler systems
- Hand move, hose move, permanent
- Sprinkler heads
- Mechanisms that drive rotating sprinkler heads
- Design considerations
- DIY micro-irrigation
- Length of watering
- Automatic watering
- Maintenance of watering systems
- Micro-jet irrigation benefits
- Use of chlorine
Design Specifications of an irrigation system
- Calculating discharge or flow
- Friction loss in systems
- Water hammer
Pumps and Filters
- Types of pumps
- Comparisons of pumps
- Pumps and pressure systems
- Pumping mechanisms
- Pump failure
- Prevention of clogging – trickle irrigation
Selecting the Right System for a plant
- Water saving measures
Design and Operation of Systems
- Cyclic watering
- Pulse watering
- Sprinkler spacing
- Electrical factors
- Electric automatic systems
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.