This course is designed for students who need a deeper understanding of human muscle physiology and its affect on our movement and health. You will learn the essentials of human movement including the operation of muscles and nerves, movements and reactions observed in the body, the nervous system, motor skills, and more. Additionally the relationships between muscular strength, endurance and flexibility are explored.
Who is this course for:
This course is great for anyone working in sports or movement fields who needs to have a more in depth knowledge of how muscles affect movement such as fitness instructions, sports coaches, yoga and pilates teachers.
Prerequisites: Prior knowledge of human anatomy and physiology
- Explain how nerves cause reactions in the human body.
- Explain how the nervous system affects motor skill performance.
- Explain the function and structure of skeletal muscle in the human body.
- Describe the organisation of muscle tissue in the human body.
- Describe the mechanics of muscular movement.
- Explain development of muscular strength and muscular endurance.
- Selecting muscular flexibility exercises.
- Explain significance of muscles to posture and general well being.
Detailed Course Outline
There are 8 Lessons to this course:
How Nerves Work
- Structure of the nervous system
- Neuron function
- Anatomy of neurons
- How muscles work with nerves
- Basic body functions
Nerves and Motor Skills
- Neural circuits
- Science of motor skills
- How motor skills develop
- Physiology of the central nervous system
- Homeostatic reflex arc
- Spinal chord and spinal nerves
- Central sensorymotor programs
- The skeleton
- How bones form
- Anatomy of bone
- Fractures and fracture healing
- Types of bones
- Bone joints
- Skeletal muscles
- Smooth muscle
- Striated voluntary muscle
- Cardiac muscle
- Relationship between muscle and skeleton
- Parts of the muscular system: tendons, deep fascia, epimysium etc
- Types of muscle fibre
- Muscle types: striated, smooth, cardiac
- Skeletal muscle types: slow oxidative, fast glycolic, etc
- What muscle cause what movement
- How do muscles move
- How skeletal muscles produce movement
- How levers are used to produce muscular movement
- Group actions
- Muscle groups and movements
- Muscular body function
- Energy systems
- Muscular strength
- Muscular endurance
- Excitation contraction of muscle
- Different levels of flexibility
- Internal flexibility
- External flexibility
Muscles and Posture
- Gravity support
- Net movement
- Benefits of posture
- Good posture
- Postural mechanisms
- Slow and fast twitch muscles
- Nervous system feedback
- Posture improvement
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below to get your free info pack.
Our science courses are taught by a range of different tutors depending on the area of expertise. We have specialised tutors in environmental science, animal (veterinary) science, human nutrition and health science and so on. At enrollment you will be assigned your tutor who is an expert in that field. You will receive a welcome email from them within 1 - 2 days of enrollment so you will be able to contact them as soon as you need to.
Some subjects such as biochemistry are an integral part of many sciences including animal (veterinary science), human health science and many parts of environmental science. We have many experienced tutors who are qualified to teach introductory biochemistry. Depending upon your particular interest in biochemistry we will assign a tutor in the appropriate field at enrollment.
About Careerline Courses
Careerline (or CLC) has been in business since 2011. We offer over 360 online short courses with great features such as self-paced study, the choice of online or correspondence (just pick printed material when enrolling) study all with full tutor support from our incredibly talented tutors.
Our mission is to provide affordable, flexible education to anyone, anywhere, anytime! We believe that education should be available to all and that no education is wasted. We are passionate about giving straight up advice on what are the best options for our future students and if we don’t think a course if right for your purposes we’ll tell you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.