Self paced online courses
Full tutor support
About this course
Get a sound foundation in animal husbandry over a variety of domestic agricultural species. This course will help you understand how to diagnose disease or determine if an animal has sustained an injury; to help understand the physical capabilities or limitations of particular species; to understand what happens in the nutrition and growth processes; and to assist you to get better performance for your animals.This knowledge is essential if you are going to work with animals in any capacity.
- Discuss the physical components of mammals and other animals, including cells and tissues.
- Explain the digestive system of more than one type of animal, in terms of both structure and function.
- Describe the circulatory system of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
- Explain the urinary system of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
- Explain the nervous system of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
- Explain the respiratory system of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
- Explain the reproductive system of animals, including structure and function.
- Explain the muscular system in animals, including the structure and function of muscles, and meat quality.
- Explain the skeletal system of a typical mammal, in terms of both structure and function.
- Describe the biological mechanisms underlying the growth and development of animals and explain the endocrine system of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
- Describe differences between different types of animals, in terms of both structure and function.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Dr Karen Catchpole B.VSc. (Hons)
Karen brings to Careerline great experience and expertise in animal Science. Karen is a practicing vet and has worked in several practices over 10 years since graduating from Sydney University with first class honours. Karen continues to maintain active involvement in education in both professional development and in tutoring both vocational and university students. Karen's field of expertise is in internal animal medicine & surgery of cats & dogs.
Karin’s love and passion for animals stem from growing up on a farm in South Africa. After gaining her Veterinary Science degree she worked in mixed general practice while completing a master’s degree in Veterinary Parasitology. Living and working in South Africa exposed Karin to a vast range of experiences in the clinical veterinary field: treating patients ranging from marmoset monkeys to lions to the everyday cat, dog or horse. Two years as a Laboratory Vet resulted in helping farmers tackling livestock health problems in a variety of farm production systems. Since her move to Western Australia with her family, Karin has been working in a small animal practice. During her 20 years as a vet, she has been involved in several research projects and the tutoring of students in various fields of animal science. She enjoys mentoring students and sharing her knowledge and she loves helping students flourish and realise their full potential.
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline range of courses are suitable for any one, basically anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enrol in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.