Study this Pet Care Certificate course to learn about caring for different pets such as dogs, cats, fish, birds, rabbits, rodents, reptiles and amphibians. Learn about important aspects of pet care such as ideal diets & food, care of coats, feathers, hair, enclosures such as tanks etc., care of litters and young animals and more. Pet shop workers will gain a lot from this course.
This course works well with other pet care courses such as dog care, cat psychology, animal behaviour and animal health care.
This course is an excellent starting point for anyone willing to work with pets; or people already working in the pet industry, as a career, pet shop employee or simply a pet owner or enthusiast who wishes to enhance their knowledge and skills.
- 100 hour course
- Online and Self-Paced
- Get expert tutor support from Qualified Vets!
- Interest Free Payment Plans - enrol today.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each having self assessment questions, set tasks (practical homework), and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
Introduction to Animal Care
- Laws and licenses
- Animal Charities and Societies (eg. RSPCA, WSPA, Blue Cross)
- Pet Care Needs (feeding, Watering, Shelter, Containment, Fencing, Caging, Protection)
- Maintaining Health
- Breeds (Lang Haired, Semi Long Haired, Short Haired, Oriental etc)
- Cat Selection
- Newborn Kittens
- Feed and nutrition
- Amount of food
- Watering, Grooming
- Care for a sick cat (Signs of illness, Temperature, Common ailments, Skin disorders, Ticks)
- Cats and wildlife
- Dog Selection
- Breeds (Pure and mixed)
- Varying size and temperament
- Skin care
- Inherited traits (aggression, deafness)
- Canine Nutrition
- Identifying sickness
- Bird Selection
- Breeds (eg. Canaries, Finches, Budgerigars, Small Parrots etc)
- Containment (Aviaries –selection, design, size, management)
- Feed and Feeding
- Grooming (Wing trim, Beak Trim, Nail Trim)
- Catching and Restraining
- Caring for the Sick Bird
- Signs of illness
- Supportive therapy
- Common Ailments (eg. Abscesses, Alopecia, Apoplexy, Aspergillosis, Breathlessness, Constipation, Parasites)
- Safety in the Home
- Fish Selection
- Inside or Outside
- Warm or Cold water
- Number of fish
- Types of fish (Tropical, Marine, Cold Water)
- Costs, Size
- Equipment: Tanks, Ponds, Pumps, Aquariums, Night lights
- Water quality
- Changing Water, Feed (Pelleted, live feed –Daphnia, Brine Shrimp)
- Illnesses (Fungal, Bacterial, Parasites, Environmental)
- Rabbit Breeds (Large, Small and Dwarf)
- Legality (Illegal in some areas)
- Containment (Hutch or Cage)
- Environment (temperature etc)
- Feeding, Nutrition, Watering, Feed quantities and routine
- Sexing, Breeding
- Identifying illness (Coccidiosis, Snuffles, Myxomatosisis, Sore Hocks, Pasteurellosis, Ear Canker, Heat Stroke, Cannibalism, Calcivirus Disease)
- Care of sick rabbits
Reptiles and Amphibians
- Types (eg. Salamander, Frogs, Venomous snakes, Non-venomous snakes, Shingle-backed lizard, Tortoises, Terrapins, Axolotls, etc),
- Legal Issues,
- Environmental requirements (Moisture, Humidity, Warmth, etc),
- Problems (eg. Dehydration, Stress, External and internal parasites, Blisters, Scale Rot, Mouth Rot or Canker, Colds/pneumonia, Constipation and diarrhoea, Cannibalism, Incomplete sloughing of the skin -shedding of the skin)
- Feed and feeding
- General Care
Guinea Pigs, Hamsters and Mice
- Varieties, Selection
- Sexing, Breeding
- Feeding, Watering
- Illness (eg. Skin Problems, Abscesses, Mites, Ringworm, Fleas, Respiratory Infection, Vitamin C Deficiency, Otitis, Salmonella, Stripping etc)
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Dr Karen Catchpole B.VSc. (Hons)
Karen brings to Careerline great experience and expertise in animal Science. Karen is a practicing veterinarian, now in her own small animal hospital, after working in varied roles over 17 years since graduation from Sydney University with first class honours. Karen continues to maintain active involvement in education in both professional development and in tutoring both vocational and university students. Karen's field of expertise is in internal animal medicine & surgery of cats & dogs.
Dr. Karin Dreyer-Haasbroek B.V.S. M.Sc. (Parasitology)
Karin’s love and passion for animals stem from growing up on a farm in South Africa. After gaining her Veterinary Science degree she worked in mixed general practice while completing a master’s degree in Veterinary Parasitology. Living and working in South Africa exposed Karin to a vast range of experiences in the clinical veterinary field: treating patients ranging from marmoset monkeys to lions to the everyday cat, dog or horse. Two years as a Laboratory Vet resulted in helping farmers tackling livestock health problems in a variety of farm production systems. Since her move to Western Australia with her family, Karin has been working in a small animal practice. During her 20 years as a vet, she has been involved in several research projects and the tutoring of students in various fields of animal science. She enjoys mentoring students and sharing her knowledge and she loves helping students flourish and realise their full potential.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.