Online Distance Learning Careers Counselling Course
- Study in your own time and at your own pace.
- Taught and written by highly experienced and qualified tutors.
This course will develop your understanding of factors affecting career choices and planning, and your ability to help others plan and achieve career goals.
The course is aimed at students who have prior experience or training in a related field such as counselling or social work, but will benefit anyone in their own career planning and development.
A career counselor helps candidates to get into a career that is suited to their aptitude, personality, interest and skills. So it is the process of making an effective correlation between the internal psychology of a candidate with the external factors of employability and courses. Career counselors work with people from various walks of life, such as adolescents seeking to explore career options, or experienced professionals contemplating a career change. In this field of study, you will learn to:
- Develop a sound understanding of the theories and principles of Careers Counselling.
- Learn to evaluate personality and skills
- Develop your counselling skills
- How to conduct a counselling session and much more.
- Identify people and organisations that offer career advice or support and the services they offer.
- Distinguish successful from unsuccessful careers, and prepare for anticipated changes in the workplace.
- Develop skills that will enhance your ability to guide others in the establishment or development of a career.
- Plan and execute an effective counselling session
- Explain strategies for dealing with the needs of inexperienced young people.
- Identify and meet the needs of inexperienced adults or those facing career change.
- Explain how and where to find employment in the job market.
- Describe the need to nurture and grow a career and plan for change.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 10 Lessons in this course:
Introduction - Scope & Nature of the Industry
- Definitions: career, careers counselling, counselling
- Broad employment options
- Services offered in the employment industry
- Assmptions about career counselling practices
- Cross cultural careers counselling
Nature of Careers
- Elements of career building and job seeking
- Factors contributing to career success
- Realistic expectations
- Range of options
- Case study
Career advice Resources
- Employer considerations: qualifications, experience,personality, age, adaptability, productivity, etc
- Case study
- Career counselling services
- Careers and vocational guidence
- Vocational planning
- Setting goals
- Job seeking supportJob seeking strategies
- Other services
Developing Counselling Skills
- Key areas for career counselling
- Helping clients focus on reality
- Helping clients identify opportunities
- Helping clients consider all elements
- Overcoming resistance from clients
- Listening skills
- Questioning skills
- Problem solving skills
- Essential reality checks
- Improving clients predictive ability
Conducting a Counselling Session
- Why people come to a career counsellor
- Strategies to develop trust
- A career counselling session
- Individuals who know the job they want
- Psychometric testing for individuals still choosing a career
- Types of psychological tests that may be used
- Referring people elsewhere
Counselling Students and School Leavers
- Understanding youth
- Career counselling for adolescents
- Assisting indecisive teenagers
- Career counselling for students
- Giving advice on study
- Choosing a course
- Workshops for students
- Workshops for university students
- Resources for counselling students
- Identifying adult needs The training program
- Advice and support during job hunting
- Course of action
- Career changing
- Easiest paths to career change
- Challenging path to career change
- Starting a business
- Case study
- Writing a business plan
- Ways of finding work
- Supporting clients decisions
- Prospecting for work
- Tips on getting a job
- Writing resumes (CV’s)
- Preparing for a job interview
Nurturing and Growing a Career
- Getting a job is only the first step in a career
- Self management for business people
- Marketing and pricing
- Case study
- Advising clients about career advancement
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Dr Nicholas Harris B. Psychology (Hons I), PhD
Nicholas is a social psychologist; he studies and teaches on topics involving group-level and individual-level behavior, as well as examining the effect of the situation. Nicholas has been involved in writing textbooks and research papers in psychology. Nicholas’ teaching experience is vast; he has taught social psychology, indigenous and intercultural psychology, statistics, research methods, psychological measurement and assessment, personality, organizational psychology, counselling skills, and ethics. Nicholas has also completed a number of short courses on counselling and suicide prevention, and has volunteered for a number of years with Lifeline. Nicholas has supervised a number of honours and master’s research theses.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.