In this online Multicultural Awareness course you will develop an understanding of appropriate practices and procedures within different cultures. Some consider these differences to be of great significance in determining human behavior and thinking, others view culture as just one of many factors that influence the behavior of individuals and groups. This course is suitable for anyone in culturally sensitive situations or needing to understand cultural differences.
- Develop an awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity;
- Understand the cultural awareness of the self through verbal and non-verbal means;
- Understand the origins and influences of prejudice and racism;
- Understand the impact of culture when working with culturally different clients;
- Understand bias toward and barriers against effective multi-cultural relationships;
- Understand the fundamentals of developing and implementing cultural competence;
- Understand multi-cultural attitudes toward mental health issues.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
Detailed Course Outline..
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Cultural Diversity
- Defining culture
- Elements of culture
- Societal structures and processes
- Key areas of cultural diversity
- Cultural behaviour
- Social discourse
- Problems ith culture
- Cultural Self-Awareness
- Defining cultural self
- Environmental influences
- Family or social group
- Definitions of self
- Psychological influences
- Human nature
- Personal autonomy
- Socio economic and political influences
- Emphasis or minimisation of cultural diversity
- Code switching
- Physical environmental influences
- Prejudice and Racism
- Ingroups or outgroups
- What is prejudice
- Functions of prejudice
- How we measure prejudice
- Theoretical perspectives on prejudice
- Functions of stereotypes
- Dangers of using stereotypes
- Social discrimination
- Institutional or structural racism
- Perceptual change
- Cognitive dissonance
- Perceptual defence
- Reducing prejudice
- Changing stereotypes
- Developing cultural sensitivity
- Belonging to a dominant culture
- Working with Culturally Different Clients
- Communicating across cultures
- Principles of communication
- Cultural differences
- Communicating intimate information
- The culturally skilled worker
- Factors affecting conformity
- Barriers to Effective Multi-Cultural Relationships
- The counsellors culture
- The clients culture
- Individual differences
- Cross cultural communication hurdles
- Culture shock
- Non verbal communication
- Developing trust
- Formal judgements
- Culture and child development
- Coping with change
- Developing Cultural Competence
- Culturally competent service delivery
- Culturally appropriate service
- Culturally accessible service
- Culturally acceptable service
- Training for cultural change
- Cross culture counselling in disaster situations
- The role of family
- Working with other cultures
- Multicultural Mental Health Issues
- Problems with cultural difference in psychology
- Cultural influences on mental health
- Culture bound syndromes
- Trance and possession disorder
- Factors affecting grief and bereavement: social, psychological and cultural influences
- Shortcomings of Contemporary Counselling: Theories and Future Developments
- Culture shock
- Stages in cultural shock and adjustment
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Treatments for culture distress
- Successful intercultural adjustment
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Thea Roberts B.Comm., M.A. (Leisure Management), Grad. Dip. Ed. Fitness Leaders Cert., I.T.C.
With over a decade of hospitality experience at all levels from recreation to resort General Manager, combined with both a love of education and business, Thea is a very welcome addition to Careerline Courses. Thea is actively involved in continuing professional development in both hospitality and business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.