A psychological assessment is when a trained psychologist uses the strategies and tools of psychology to learn general or specific facts about people, either to let others know how they function or to foresee their behaviour and functioning in the future.
- Learn how Psychological Assessments are carried out.
- Professional Development Course for anyone working in Psychology, Counselling or Management
- Self paced study, 100 hour course, Personal tuition from professional psychologists
- Explain the main kinds of psychological tests and why they are used, and meaning of test reliability and validity
- Explain ethical and other factors that constrain clinical assessment
- Describe a structured and an unstructured interview
- Explain behavioural assessment and how it can be conducted
- Discuss Wechsler scales in detail
- Explain the purpose and use of the Wechsler Memory Test
- Explain the purpose and usage of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 7 lessons in this course:
- What is psychological assessment
- Types of psychological tests
- Achievement tests
- Aptitude tests
- Intelligence tests
- Occupational tests
- Personality tests
- History of psychological testing
- Justification for using tests
- Advantages and disadvantages of using psychometric testing
- Ethnicity and different cultures
- Psychological testing of language minority and culturally different children
- Why your child should be tested
- Why it is important for parents to know about testing
- Validity and reliability
- Construct, discriminant and convergent validity
- Test retest reliability
Context of Clinical Assessment
- Ethical practice
- Case study: confidentiality
- Informed consent
- Record keeping
- Dual relationships
- Professional boundaries
- Selecting tests
- Case study: ethics and lie detection
- Computer assisted assessment
- Virtual reality; new tool for psychological assessment
- Personality traits and designing a questionnaire
- Ambiguity and bias
- Closed and open questions
The Assessment Interview
- The interview
- Screening for psychological disorders
- Structured and unstructured interviews
- Assessing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) among veterans
- Screening and referral procedure overview
- If patient refuses referral to mental health care
- Use of a primary care screen
- Discussing screening results with patients
- Discern if traumatic events are ongoing
- Making a recommendation
- Scheduling a follow up
- Psychomentric properties of SCID
- Kinds of consequences
- Intrinsic and extrinsic reinforcers
- Consequences and timing
- The premack principle
- Criticisms of behaviourism
- Methods of behavioural assessment
- The focus of assessment
- Functional analysis
- Analysis of problem behaviour
- Motivational analysis
- Behavioural vs traditional assessment
Wechsler Intelligence Scales
- Measuring intelligence
- Cognitive, cognitive contextural and biological theories
- Psychometric theories
- Wechsler Intelligence scales
- Normal results
- Sub tests, verbal subtests, performance subtests
- Cultural bias
- Precautions with intelligence testing
- The intelligence test as a tool
Wechsler Memory scales
- Wechsler Memory test
- Wechsler Memory Scale III
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) Assessment
- False negatives; false positives
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Dr Nicholas Harris B. Psychology (Hons I), PhD
Nicholas is a social psychologist; he studies and teaches on topics involving group-level and individual-level behavior, as well as examining the effect of the situation. Nicholas has been involved in writing textbooks and research papers in psychology. Nicholas’ teaching experience is vast; he has taught social psychology, indigenous and intercultural psychology, statistics, research methods, psychological measurement and assessment, personality, organizational psychology, counselling skills, and ethics. Nicholas has also completed a number of short courses on counselling and suicide prevention, and has volunteered for a number of years with Lifeline. Nicholas has supervised a number of honours and master’s research theses.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.