Self paced online courses
Full tutor support
About this course
Our Wildlife Conservation course will provide you with the foundation knowledge for conserving threatened wildlife. This course covers important aspects related to wildlife conservation such as:
- habitat use, habitat fragmentation and bio geography
- genetic diversity and conserving small populations
- wildlife survey techniques
- flora survey techniques
- surveying marine life and
- working with legislation and much more.
The valuable skills obtained through the study of his wildlife conservation course could be built upon with further study. Careerline courses in conservation and environmental management, wildlife management, animal behavior, landscape restoration or nature park management I and II would be well worth considering.
- Develop a concept of the guiding principles of wildlife conservation and the threats to wildlife.
- Determine the principles and approaches used towards species recovery.
- Discuss the principles of habitat conservation with regards to fragmentation, restoration and the use of protected areas.
- Describe and discuss the various approaches used to conserve threatened species and ecosystems.
- Appreciate the range of flora survey techniques that have been developed to sample fauna for the purposes of conservation.
- Discuss and differentiate between fauna survey techniques that have been developed to sample fauna for the purposes of conservation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the consequences of overexploitation. Discuss and differentiate between marine survey techniques used to conserve marine species.
- Discuss and differentiate the range of planning tools available for farming, urban and residential planning to help conserve wildlife.
- Identify various management techniques used to conserve wildlife.
- Develop a wildlife recovery plan for a species under threat.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Dr Karen Catchpole B.VSc. (Hons)
Karen brings to Careerline great experience and expertise in animal Science. Karen is a practicing vet and has worked in several practices over 10 years since graduating from Sydney University with first class honours. Karen continues to maintain active involvement in education in both professional development and in tutoring both vocational and university students. Karen's field of expertise is in internal animal medicine & surgery of cats & dogs.
Karin’s love and passion for animals stem from growing up on a farm in South Africa. After gaining her Veterinary Science degree she worked in mixed general practice while completing a master’s degree in Veterinary Parasitology. Living and working in South Africa exposed Karin to a vast range of experiences in the clinical veterinary field: treating patients ranging from marmoset monkeys to lions to the everyday cat, dog or horse. Two years as a Laboratory Vet resulted in helping farmers tackling livestock health problems in a variety of farm production systems. Since her move to Western Australia with her family, Karin has been working in a small animal practice. During her 20 years as a vet, she has been involved in several research projects and the tutoring of students in various fields of animal science. She enjoys mentoring students and sharing her knowledge and she loves helping students flourish and realise their full potential.
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline range of courses are suitable for any one, basically anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enrol in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.