Get a strong foundation in human nutrition basics with this online nutrition course
This self paced online nutrition course will be your first step toward an in deep understanding of human nutrition. This course is highly recommended for any one wanting an introduction to the field of human nutrition either to go on and do more student and work in a professional capacity or student just wanting to better manage their own diet.
It provides complementary skills for people who are involved with food and health across a very wide range of vocations, for example, health or fitness professionals, chef’s, food sales staff, carers.
What you will do in this online nutrition course:
- Explain the role of different food types in human health.
- Explain the physiology of digestive processes.
- Recommend appropriate intake of vitamins.
- Recommend appropriate intake of minerals.
- Recommend appropriate food intake to meet an individual’s energy needs.
- Recommend appropriate carbohydrate intake.
- Recommend appropriate fat intake.
- Recommend appropriate protein intake.
- Recommend appropriate water intake in different situations.
- Recognise signs and symptoms of the major nutrient disorders
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Introduction to Nutrition
- Important factors in nutrition
- Ingredients and cooking methods
- Understanding eating
- Major food groups
- Food allergies and Intolerance introduction
The Digestive System
- The Alimentary Canal- Muscular Structures
- Accessory Digestive Organs
- Digestive Tract Linings
Absorption and Enzymes
- Physical and Mechanical breakdown
- Understanding biochemical breakdown
- Biological breakdown
- Digestive Hormones
- Digestive Enzymes
- Absorption – anatomical adaptations for absorption
- Absorption (general)
- Detoxification mechanisms
- The Urinary System
- Physiology of the urinary system
- Skin and sweat glands
Energy Value of Foods
- The science of nutrition
- Energy Value in Foods
- Energy Production
- Basal Metabolic Rate
Carbohydrates and Fats
- Types of Carbohydrates – Monosaccharides,Oligosaccharides and Polysaccharides
- Carbohydrates in the diet
- Carbohydrates in the body
- Fats and fat biochemistry
- Fats in the diet
- Fats in the body
- Uses in the body
- Recommended protein intakes
- Nuts and Seeds
- Beef, Poultry and Fish (meat struture)
- Meat Quality
- Eggs and Dairy
- Proteins in the diet
- Proteins in the body
Vitamins and Minerals
- The Recommended Daily Allowance
- The Dietary Reference Intake
- Summary of Vitamins
- Fat soluble vitamins
- Water soluble vitamins
- Common minerals
- Inorganic elements
- The Calcium Debate
- Water in the body (function)
- Water retention
- Water loss and chronic dehydration
- Selected digestive system disorders
- Peptic ulcer
- Lactose intolerance
- Cholesterol, heart disease and atherosclerosis
- Bowel Cancer
- Problems with nutrition
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Jodie Walpole Bachelor of Applied Science (Food & Nutrition), Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching
Jodie is a qualified Nutritionist and Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching. Jodie brings to Careerline over 15 years corporate nutrition and health experience as a result of working for several large multinational food and beverage companies. Jodie is passionate about all aspects of nutrition, health and wellness with particular interest in weight management and childhood obesity. More recently Jodie completed her Advanced Practitioner of Life Coaching course and is a certified Life Coach with hours of practical experience. As a Life Coach Jodie enjoys working with clients to close the gap between where they are currently in their lives and where they want to be. Jodie is also an experienced tutor enjoying the challenge of working with students to reach their full potential.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.