Home Garden Expert Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Why study this Home Garden Expert course?
Calling all gardening enthusiasts! If you want to develop the skills to create the garden you have always dreamed of, Careerline’s online Home Gardening course is designed for you.
Whether you are an experienced gardener or a beginner with a genuine passion for plants, this course will help you achieve your gardening goals. Study home garden expert alongside Careerline’s home fruit growing, permaculture, or flower growing courses to make the most of your online learning experience.
Whether you hope to upskill, become a more skilled hobbyist, or get a head start on future studies, studying with Careerline will have a positive impact on your future. This online home garden expert course will help you to deepen your understanding of plant care, lawn and garden maintenance, and propagation. Your new skills will help you feel prepared as you design, plant, and care for your dream garden.
What will you learn?
Careerline’s online Home Garden Expert course is ideal for home gardeners who want to become gurus. As an online home gardening student, you will learn about plant identification and culture, including the common and scientific names of plants, pruning, mulching, and seasonal gardening. Further, you will study soil texture and structure, as well as the skill of keeping plants healthy through nutrition. You will become aware of the symptoms of common pests, weeds, and diseases, and learn how to prevent and control them.
This course will also teach you how to landscape effectively using native and introduced plants, hedges, and colour. You will study the art of propagation, including growing from seeds and cuttings. Home Garden Expert students learn how to design, maintain, and renovate lawns, and how to choose an appropriate turf type. Finally, you will develop the skills needed to grow plants indoors, and to grow edible crops to use in your kitchen.
Who is this online Home Gardening course for?
Careerline’s Home Garden Expert course is for gardeners of any experience level or ability who want to improve their skills. You will be able to apply your newfound knowledge to either your hobby or your career. The course is primarily for home and hobby gardeners, but is also suitable for landscapers, nursery retail employees, and garden designers who want to upskill.
This online home gardening course is also ideal for anyone interested in pursuing further study in garden design, landscaping, plant science, horticulture, or nutrition.
- Identify plant health problems and know treatments.
- Know the plant naming system and how plants are classified.
- Understand the effect of soil structure and texture on plant growth.
- Understand plant terminology and planting methods.
- Understand plant pruning requirements and methods
- Know plant nutrition requirements
- Understand soil conditions and when they require improvement.
- Recognise a range of pests and diseases and the methods of control.
- Recognise a range of weeds and know various control methods.
- Know a range of garden styles and the history behind them.
- Have knowledge of landscape construction techniques.
- Understand the elements and processes of landscape design.
- Understand various propagating techniques
- Propagate plants by various methods
- Understand the soil preparation and requirements to establish or renovate a lawn
- Know lawn maintenance requirements.
- Understand requirements, including environmental and nutritional aspects of growing plants indoors (including hydroponics and greenhouses).
- Know how to select plants suited to growth indoors
- Develop knowledge of vegetable growing procedures and requirements.
- Have knowledge of a range of fruits and berries suited to the home garden
- Have knowledge of a range of commonly grown herbs and flowers
Your TutorBarbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design.