Become a cactus expert with this 100 hr course
You will learn the ins and outs of growing cacti and succulents in this fully tutored course. Be guided by our expert horticulture tutors and get the most from your plants.
- Develop knowledge of botanical naming conventions and their application in understanding the horticultural potential of cacti and succulents.
- Evaluate needs then select or improve growing media for cacti and succulents.
- Propagate different types of cacti and succulents.
- Explain a range of uses for cacti and succulents.
- Manage growing conditions for cacti and succulents.
- Explain the cultivation of a range of cacti.
- Explain the cultivation of a range of succulents.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
- Review of the system of plant identification
- Information sources
- Three Cacti tribes -Perskia, Opuntia, Cerus
- Main succulent genera
- Pronouncing Names
- Pruning etc.
- Methods of propagating cacti & succulent plants
- Propagation of selected varieties
- Seed, Cuttings, Grafting
Using Cacti & Succulents
- Edible succulents
- Garden Design
- Garden Styles
- Mexican gardens
- Using Colour
- Rock Gardens
- Growing Cacti or Succulents in containers
- Pests and Disease
- Greenhouse growing
Cacti developing your plant knowledge
- General guidelines for growing cacti
- Review of Cacti Genera
Succulents developing your plant knowledge
- Review of Succulent Families
- Bromeliads -featured plants
- Plan the establishment of a collection of different cultivars of either Cacti OR Succulents suited to growing in a specified locality.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design. Meanwhile the business has covered a variety of Garden Design projects, from wildflower gardens to seaside situations, and has included some work with Chelsea Gold multi-winner John Moreland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.