Geraniums & Pelargoniums Online Course
Learn all about geraniums and pelargoniums. There is more to Geranium and Pelargoniums than meets the eye! These wonderful plants have been seen on our window boxes for hundreds of years and are a big part of many garden lovers lives. Learn ways to maintain them to optimum performance. Learn how to avoid problems that can be easily cured. Learn how to take your own cuttings, grow them successfully and discover how many different types there are to choose from. In this course you will also learn this basis of all good horticulture with plant health, understanding soils, plant nutrition, cultural requirements and pest and disease treatment.
- Select and cultivate appropriate varieties of geraniums and pelargoniums in different situations.
- Describe the cultural requirements of various Geranium and Pelargoniums. Cultural requirements refer to the aspects that affect the growing quality and performance of the species. This includes soil types, plant nutrition, planting techniques, watering and maintenance. Every variety of plant has its own specific needs and tolerances with respect to the environment in which it grows.
- Describe propagating Geranium and Pelargoniums. There are specific ways they can be propagated, often with much ease to the home gardener. This is part of the reason they have become so popular, as they are so easy to grow and love.
- Determine and explain a variety of ways Geranium and Pelargoniums may be used both in landscape and other situations.
- Most Zonal Pelargonium is used for bright displays in the dullest of places with their vibrant flowers offering a show. Most Ivy Geraniums are used to spill over walls, hanging baskets or climbing a brick wall on a trellis. The options are limitless and we will look at a few.
- Discuss the various disease problems that affect Pelargonium and Geraniums, and their management.
- Geraniums, like all plants, can be attacked by pests or diseases, or can suffer as a result of poor environmental conditions, or from a combination of both of these. Unlike humans plants cannot develop an immunity towards disease. The best defence against problems, therefore, is to keep your plants as healthy as possible so that firstly they are more likely to resist such problems, and secondly, if they do suffer problems, to have a better chance of recovery.
- Understand and manage water requirements of geraniums and pelargoniums, in a way to optimize the plant’s performance.
- Manage the growing of Pelargoniums and Geraniums in a greenhouse. This can be adapted for climates that are too cool for them to grow outside or for areas where they need protection form frosts or other environmental conditions. This is aimed at commercial production but can be adapted by the home gardener too.
- Plan the establishment of a collection of different cultivars of a group of geraniums or pelargoniums
Learn all about geraniums and pelargoniums. There is more to Geranium and Pelargoniums than meets the eye! These wonderful plants have been seen on our window boxes for hundreds of years and are a big part of many garden lovers lives. Learn ways to maintain them to optimum performance. Learn how to avoid problems that […]