Home Garden Expert Online Course
This is a great course aimed at garden enthusiasts.
Become a true garden guru, and acquire the skills to create the garden you want.
A course in home gardening for anyone who wants to become an expert in their own garden.
Study in your own home, in fact you can study in your own garden and at your own pace.
Learn from our highly qualified and experienced tutors.
A number of courses would compliment the knowledge gained from the home garden expert course, including home fruit growing, any or all of the flower/cut flower and greenhouse courses, permaculture or planning and constructing ornamental gardens. Browse Careerlines courses, there is a huge range so why stop learning?
- Identify plant health problems and know treatments.
- Know the plant naming system and how plants are classified.
- Understand the effect of soil structure and texture on plant growth.
- Understand plant terminology and planting methods.
- Understand plant pruning requirements and methods
- Know plant nutrition requirements
- Understand soil conditions and when they require improvement.
- Recognise a range of pests and diseases and the methods of control.
- Recognise a range of weeds and know various control methods.
- Know a range of garden styles and the history behind them.
- Have knowledge of landscape construction techniques.
- Understand the elements and processes of landscape design.
- Understand various propagating techniques
- Propagate plants by various methods
- Understand the soil preparation and requirements to establish or renovate a lawn
- Know lawn maintenance requirements.
- Understand requirements, including environmental and nutritional aspects of growing plants indoors (including hydroponics and greenhouses).
- Know how to select plants suited to growth indoors
- Develop knowledge of vegetable growing procedures and requirements.
- Have knowledge of a range of fruits and berries suited to the home garden
- Have knowledge of a range of commonly grown herbs and flowers
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
Detailed Course Outline..
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Basic Plant Identification & Culture
- Plant names, planting, transplanting, tools & equipment.
- Soils & Nutrition
- Soil structure, nutrition, composting, soil building, drainage, fertilizers.
- Pests & Weeds
- Identifying problems, sprays, biological control, weed identification & control.
- How to design a garden, rockeries, native gardens, traditional (European style) home gardens.
- Propagating materials, seed, cuttings.
- Turf varieties, laying a lawn, lawn care.
- Indoor Gardening
- Hardy indoor plants, container growing.
- The Kitchen Garden
- Vegetable gardening, fruit trees, herbs.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design. Meanwhile the business has covered a variety of Garden Design projects, from wildflower gardens to seaside situations, and has included some work with Chelsea Gold multi-winner John Moreland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.