Learn about the human cardio-respiratory system. Understand topics such as blood, blood pressure, pulmonary ventilation, gas exchange and transport, blood flow and gas transport, understand cardio respiratory control, cardio respiratory disease and more. Essential for the fitness trainer, health care professional, nutrition counsellor learn about your own body and improve your health.
Prerequisite: ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY C or equivalent
- Explain how blood affects human health, including its nature, how it works and its significance.
- Explain blood pressure and its relationship to health and fitness.
- Explain the physiology of pulmonary ventilation.
- Explain the physiology of gas exchange and transport.
- Explain relationship between blood flow and gas transport in the body.
- Explain the physiology of cardio-respiratory control.
- Explain the physiology of cardio-respiratory disease.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 7 Lessons in this course:
The Science of Blood
- The Functions of Blood
- Components of Blood
- Blood Typing
- Blood Cells
- Hematopoiesis; Erythropoiesis, Leukopoiesis, Lymphopoiesis
- Blood Cell function; Erythrocytes, Neutrophils, Eosinophils, Basophils, Thrombocytes etc
- The Immune Response
- Clotting Mechanism
- Circulatory Networks
- Blood Testing
- Full Blood Count
- Cross Matching
- Blood Cultures
- Arterial Blood Gas
- Biochemical and Metabolic Tests
- Blood Disorders
- Lymphatic System
- Factors Affecting Blood Pressure; cardiac output, peripheral resistance, blood volume
- How Blood Pressure is Measured
- The Cardiac Cycle
- Heart Muscle Cell Contraction
- Electrical Control of the Heart Muscle Cells; Sinoatrial Node (SA Node), Atrioventricular Node (AV Node), Bundle of His (Atrioventricular bundle), Purkinje Fibres
- Blood Pressure Problems
- Systolic hypertension, Diastolic hypertension and Hypertension
- Distribution of Blood Flow
- Regulating Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
- Problems with Heart Rate; variations, and other conditions including Myocardial infarction and Cardiac Tamponade
- Electrocardiograms and their Interpretation
- The Respiratory System
- Respiratory Epithelium
- The Lungs
- Lung Anatomy
- Airway Anatomy
- Nasal and oral cavities
- Bronchi and bronchioles
- Physiology of Breathing; Equilibrium, Pressure, Inspiration, Expiration
- Physiological Measures of Lung Capacity and Function
- Effect of Exercise on Pulmonary Ventilation
Gas Exchange & Transport
- Gas Exchange in the Human Body
- External Respiration
- Oxygen Transport
- Internal Respiration
- Carbon Dioxide Transport
- Biochemistry of Gas Exchange; Boyle’s Law, Charles’ Law, Dalton’s Law, Henry’s Law, etc
- Factors Affecting Gas Exchange; Partial pressure Gradients, Gas Solubility, Membrane thickness, etc
- Respiratory Control
Blood Flow & Gas Transport
- Blood Flow; Volume, Target
- Gas Transport
- Arterial-Alveolar Gradient
- Oxygen Transport
- Factors Effecting Oxygen Release by Hemoglobin
- The Bohr-Haldane Effect
- Cellular Respiration
- Energy Production; anaerobic and aerobic
- Blood Flow During Exercise and Rest
Cardio Respiratory Control
- Cardio Respiratory Control and the Nervous System
- Input Sensors
- The CV Centre
- High Brain Centres
- Baroreceptors and Chemoreceptors
- The Respiratory Centre
- Starling’s Law
- The Control of Heart and Lungs During Exercise
Cardio Respiratory Disease
- Cardiac Diseases and Injuries
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Myocardial Infarction and Ischemia
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Venous thrombosis
- Varicose veins
- Causes of Cardiovascular Disease; lifestyle, diet, obesity, genetics, smoking, hypertension, etc
- Respiratory Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
- Effects of Cardio Pulmonary Disease
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Jodie Walpole Bachelor of Applied Science (Food & Nutrition), Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching
Jodie is a qualified Nutritionist and Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching. Jodie brings to Careerline over 15 years corporate nutrition and health experience as a result of working for several large multinational food and beverage companies. Jodie is passionate about all aspects of nutrition, health and wellness with particular interest in weight management and childhood obesity. More recently Jodie completed her Advanced Practitioner of Life Coaching course and is a certified Life Coach with hours of practical experience. As a Life Coach Jodie enjoys working with clients to close the gap between where they are currently in their lives and where they want to be. Jodie is also an experienced tutor enjoying the challenge of working with students to reach their full potential.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.