Learn to become less reliant on the electricity and gas companies and save money through alternative energy sources. Alternative Energy covers the basics of electricity, how to generate electricity from renewable resources, how to store energy, non-electrical systems, energy consumption and conservation.
With the International Government initiatives regarding the pricing of carbon pollution emissions set to affect everyone, it is obvious that resources will be directed toward the research and development of all possible alternatives. Study this course for an introduction to this science of the future.
- Describe the nature and scope of alternative energy.
- Describe the nature and application of electricity.
- Compare different methods of generating electricity
- Compare different techniques for storage and use of electricity.
- Describe the application and operation of different non electric energy systems
- Identify ways to better manage energy consumption.
- Describe energy conservation techniques.
- Discuss how to convert a building’s energy supply to an alternative system.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
Introduction: The Problems and the Energy Sources
- Scope and Nature
- Energy consumption through history
- Climate Change
- Energy units
- Problems with Fossil Fuels
- Problems with other energy sources … hydro electricity, nuclear, wind, solar
- Understanding electricity
- Conductors and non conductors
- Measuring electricity …current, voltage, resistance
- Ohm’s Law
- Circuits … Series; parallel
- Kirchhoffs law
- Power ratings
- Electromagnetism and Solenoids
- Electric motors
- Lenz’s law
- Fuel cells
- Wind Power
- Large Scale Wind System Design
- Small Scale Wind System Design
- Solar Energy
- Positioning a solar cell
- Small Scale Solar
- Future Developments in Solar
- Geothermal Energy
- Dry Steam Power Plants
- Flash Steam Power Plants
- Binary Cycle Power Plants
- Advantages of Geothermal
- How Geothermal is used
- Geothermal heat pumps
- Tide and Current Power
- Tide Barage
- Tidal Turbines
- Wave Power
- Nuclear Energy
- Fission Reactors
- Half Lives and Radioactivity
- Waste to Energy
Storage and Using Electricity
- Cells – simple cell, car battery, gel, AGM, Nickel etc
- Deep Cycle Battery
- Lithium Rechargeable Batteries
- Calculating Battery Requirements
- Alternators and Regulators
- System Types
- EMR & electricity use
- Recommended Exposure Limits
- Safety with Electricity
- Scope and nature
- Passive Solar
- Fire Wood
- Drying and storing wood
- Comparing different wood types
- Smoke fires
- Creosote formation in fire flues
- Environmental aspects of burning wood
- Small scale Biomass
- Passive Solar Energy
- Solar hot water … flat plate collectors, evacuated tubes, open or closed circuit, passive or active systems, heat pumps
- Night insulation
- Solar Garden Water Features
- Reducing energy consumption
- Population growth
- Large scale reduction of energy consumption – managing green cities, urban sprawl, peak demands, transport, etc.
- How a home owner can reduce energy consumption
- Temperature control
- Minimising light energy consumption
- Minimising appliance energy consumption
- Water conservation
- Solar house design
Converting to Alternative Systems
- Estimating Energy Needs
- Building Efficiency
- System Design
- System Designers
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below to get your free info pack.
Our science courses are taught by a range of different tutors depending on the area of expertise. We have specialised tutors in environmental science, animal (veterinary) science, human nutrition and health science and so on. At enrollment you will be assigned your tutor who is an expert in that field. You will receive a welcome email from them within 1 - 2 days of enrollment so you will be able to contact them as soon as you need to.
Some subjects such as biochemistry are an integral part of many sciences including animal (veterinary science), human health science and many parts of environmental science. We have many experienced tutors who are qualified to teach introductory biochemistry. Depending upon your particular interest in biochemistry we will assign a tutor in the appropriate field at enrollment.
About Careerline Courses
Careerline (or CLC) has been in business since 2011. We offer over 360 online short courses with great features such as self-paced study, the choice of online or correspondence (just pick printed material when enrolling) study all with full tutor support from our incredibly talented tutors.
Our mission is to provide affordable, flexible education to anyone, anywhere, anytime! We believe that education should be available to all and that no education is wasted. We are passionate about giving straight up advice on what are the best options for our future students and if we don’t think a course if right for your purposes we’ll tell you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.