A course designed for health therapists and all those working in health care that want or need to develop a deeper understanding of the human body processes and maintenance of health.
- Review basic functions occurring in the cells of the human body
- Review basic functioning of the tissues within the body such as bone and muscle.
- Describe the significant systems and the functions of those systems of the body.
- Describe the functional characteristics of the nerve cells and nervous system.
- Describe the functioning of hormones and how they control body functions.
- Describe the functioning of the heart, blood, and blood vessels in the cardiovascular system.
- Describe the significant functions of the body’s defence system and the cells of the immune system.
- Describe the significant functions of the respiratory system and the air passages and lungs.
- Describe the function of the kidneys and the renal system in the human body.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 9 Lessons in this course:
- Membrane transport
- Simple passive transport
- Facilitated passive transport
- Active transport
- Transcription, translation and post transcriptional modification
- Cellular metabolism
- Cellular energy production
- Homeostatic balance
- Feedback system
- Body temperature
- Effect of temperature on enzymes
- Adenosine triphosphate
- Physiology of tissue
- Epithelial tissue
- Connective tissue
- Dense connective tissue
- Bone tissue
- Bone physiology
- Compact bone
- Spongy bone
- Muscle tissue
- Muscle fibre: filament types
- Nervous tissue
- Central and peripheral nervous systems
- Somatic and autonomic nervous systems
- Sensory, motor and integrated systems
- General senses
- The process of sensation
- Special senses
- Autonomic nervous system
- Autonomic reflexes
- Parasympathetic nervous system
- Sympathetic nervous system
- Structure of the nervous system
- Parts of a neuron
- Classification of different neurons
- Neuron function
- Action potentials
- Graded potentials
- Synapses: electrical, chemical
- Neural circuits
- Different functions of the brain
- Homeostatic reflex arc
- Spinal chord and spinal nerves
- Functions of endocrine system
- Actions of hormones
- Hormone target cells
- Anterior pituitary gland hormones
- Actions of posterior pituitary
- Actions of adrenal gland: cortex and medula
- Pancreatic hormones
- Thyroid gland
- Adrenal glands
- Hormone receptors
- Heart function
- Cardiac cycle
- Heart muscle cell contraction
- Blood vessels
- Blood: regulation, erthrocyte physiology, leucocytes
- Lymphatic system
- Blood flow
- Gas transport
- Arterial alveolar gradient
- Oxygen transport
- Factors affecting oxygen release by hemoglobin
- Immune system structure
- Lymphatic organs and tissues
- Types of resistance
- Non specific cellular and chemical defences: phagocytes, natural killer cells
- The inflammatory response
- Specific defence mechanisms
- Humoral immunity
- Respiratory epithelium
- The lungs
- Airway anatomy
- Nasal and oral cavities
- Larynx, trachea, bronchial tree
- Function of respiratory system
- Pulmonary ventilation
- Lung volumes and capacity
- Urinary system
- Blood and nerve supply
- Kidney functions
- Remal processes
- Glomerular filtration
- Electrolyte and Acid base balance
- Tubular reabsorption
- Tubular secretion
- Urinary bladder
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below to get your free info pack.
Our science courses are taught by a range of different tutors depending on the area of expertise. We have specialised tutors in environmental science, animal (veterinary) science, human nutrition and health science and so on. At enrollment you will be assigned your tutor who is an expert in that field. You will receive a welcome email from them within 1 - 2 days of enrollment so you will be able to contact them as soon as you need to.
Some subjects such as biochemistry are an integral part of many sciences including animal (veterinary science), human health science and many parts of environmental science. We have many experienced tutors who are qualified to teach introductory biochemistry. Depending upon your particular interest in biochemistry we will assign a tutor in the appropriate field at enrollment.
About Careerline Courses
Careerline (or CLC) has been in business since 2011. We offer over 360 online short courses with great features such as self-paced study, the choice of online or correspondence (just pick printed material when enrolling) study all with full tutor support from our incredibly talented tutors.
Our mission is to provide affordable, flexible education to anyone, anywhere, anytime! We believe that education should be available to all and that no education is wasted. We are passionate about giving straight up advice on what are the best options for our future students and if we don’t think a course if right for your purposes we’ll tell you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.