Self paced online courses
Full tutor support
About this course
This course will give you a thorough understanding of “higher” animals’ via an understanding of Zoology, Taxonomy and Biology, together with the principles on animal ecology and morphology.
You will learn the essentials of Vertebrate Zoology with the help of highly qualified and experienced zoology tutors. This course helps anyone who is working with animals or provides a sound basis for further studies.
- Distinguish between major groups of vertebrates through a demonstrated understanding of their taxonomic classification and diversity.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of all major groups of fishes.
- To describe the distinguishing characteristics of all major groups of Ectotherms, Amphibians and Reptiles.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of major groups of birds
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of all major groups of Mammals.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of animals in the order Marsupialia and compare mammalian specialisations with those of other vertebrates.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of animals within the grandorders Glires and Insectivora.
- Explain Ectothermy in a variety of different animals.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of animals within the order Carnivora.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of animals within the grand order Ungulata.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of animals within the grand order Archonta.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of 10 lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Abraham Mijares, M.Sc. of Science in Ecology, Cert. IV TAE, Cert. IV Project Management, Cert. III Micro-Business Operation, Cert. II Conservation and Land Management
Abraham has worked for 15 years as a Teaching and Research Assistant at the "Arid Zones and Ecology Research Center" (CIEZA) of a university in Venezuela (South America). He specialized in wildlife survey and monitoring, employing several methods such as trapping/netting and marking/recapture (including radio-tracking) of frogs and mammals. His research was focused on the taxonomy and natural history of amphibians and reptiles. He also coordinated in teaching two subjects, the "Ecology and Wildlife" for second semester undergraduate students and "Pre-Professional Practice" which is an elective subject for students from the seventh semester onwards. He is involved in a number of projects doing vegetation assessments and surveys. In Australia, he worked at Griffith University for 3 years as a Laboratory Demonstrator on the subjects “Zoology” and “Vertebrate Biology” (and tutored classes the latter). Since 2011, Abraham has been working in the Conservation and Land Management business, mainly as “Fauna Spotter/Catcher”. He's also a “Wildlife Ecologist” within some private companies and “Natural Restoration Contractor” with the Gold Coast City Council (QLD). He manages his own consultancy company on ecological and wildlife management.
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline range of courses are suitable for any one, basically anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enrol in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.