- Learn to write drama, and stimulate the readers emotions
- Learn more about the mechanics of writing
- Develop your capacity to communicate more clearly and effectively
- Explore opportunities to turn your passion into a rewarding job
Do you have story ideas but don't know where to start? Do you want to create plots that are engaging and interesting to read? Do you want to see your work published and come to life? Then this course is for you.
You will learn to:
- Define and develop an understanding of dramatic writing.
- Develop methods of developing characters in dramatic writing.
- Define different genres and develop themes for dramatic writing.
- Develop techniques for developing your plot.
- Describe techniques for weaving a story.
- Develop a short story using dramatic writing.
- Develop a chapter of dramatic writing.
- Determine how to develop sub plots.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
Detailed Course Outline...
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Typing Time
- Types of Writing : Reflection, Exposition, Description, Explanation, Argument
- Making Decisions about what to Write
- Know your stuff
- The concept
- Keeping a Notebook
- Process of Story Development
- Planning a Story
- Developing your Voice
- Useful terms
- Developing the characters
- Building Characters
- Main Characters
- Minor Characters
- Theme and Genre
- Developing a Theme
- Universal Themes
- Sub Themes
- Creating Conflict
- Plot Development
- First Decisions
- The End of a Story
- Types of Dramatic Story: Memoirs, Biographies, Reflective Stories, Historical etc
- Weaving a Story
- Techniques: Action, Emotion, Mirror; Parallel lives, Palm Cards
- Writers Block
- Developing a Story Line
- Things to Avoid
- Different Approaches: Dialectic, Transition
- How a Character Affects a Plot
- How Plot Affects Genre
- Flashbacks and Flashforwards
- Writing a Dramatic Short Story
- Main Character and Antagonist
- Creating a Sense of Place
- Counting Out Your Story
- Short Stories
- Developing Sub Plots
- Writing a Chapters for a Dramatic Work (Novel or Play)
- Getting Published
- Writing Resources
- Writing as a Business
- Vanity Publishing
- Dealing with Publishers
- Creating a Chapter or Segment of a larger work
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Robert N. Stephenson
Robert N. Stephenson is a published author of 5 books and the publisher of 25 books for other authors through his publishing imprint. Over his career thus far he has had over 100 short stories published in 10 countries and a number of languages. For fourteen years he also worked as a literary agent for his own agency where he represented such authors as Tony Shillitoe and Christy Jordan. As a tutor he has worked with over 1500 students in the last 10 years and a number of which have gone on to develop careeers in writing.
Besides wining awards for his own writing he is also the runner up in the 2008 Pride of Australia Medal for his contributions to the development of writing in others. Robert ran Altair Magazine for seven issues before it stopped production b ut during this time he discovered several new writers who have gone on to do great things both in Australia and in the USA. As he says, writing is a journey and a conversation with a reader, may we learn to create together.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.