Pigs (Swine) Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
Learn the care and management of pigs with this online pig care course.
In this course, you will gain skills and knowledge in:
- breeding and selection
- nutrition and feed
- pig diseases
- boar management
- sow and litter management
- and much more.
This course is suitable for students looking to learn commerical pig management as well as those with general interest in pigs.
This course provides you with a sound foundation in pig care and management, along with the benefits of self-paced, online study.
- Select appropriate pig breeds for different purposes.
- Explain how to manage the breeding of pigs.
- Explain the physical facilities, including buildings and equipment of a pig farm.
- Explain the procedures used in managing the condition, including the health and feeding of pigs.
- Explain the husbandry operations associated with pig farming.
- Develop strategies for marketing, including both traditional and innovative marketing plans of pigs and pig products.
- Develop different strategies, including both traditional and innovative approaches, to manage the general operations associated with pig farming.
Your TutorDr. Karin Dreyer-Haasbroek B.V.S. M.Sc. (Parasitology)
Karin’s love and passion for animals stem from growing up on a farm in South Africa. After gaining her Veterinary Science degree she worked in mixed general practice while completing a master’s degree in Veterinary Parasitology. Living and working in South Africa exposed Karin to a vast range of experiences in the clinical veterinary field: treating patients ranging from marmoset monkeys to lions to the everyday cat, dog or horse. Two years as a Laboratory Vet resulted in helping farmers tackling livestock health problems in a variety of farm production systems. Since her move to Western Australia with her family, Karin has been working in a small animal practice.
During her 20 years as a vet, she has been involved in several research projects and the tutoring of students in various fields of animal science. She enjoys mentoring students and sharing her knowledge and she loves helping students flourish and realise their full potential.