Self Sufficiency I (Introduction) Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Its always a great time to learn to become more self sufficient!
This self sufficiency course is one of two courses designed to equip you for a self sufficent life. Learn tips, skills and gain knowledge in a broad range of fields to equip you with independence and self sufficiency.
Topic include managing your health and home, horticulture (herbs, vegies and fruit), animal husbandry (poultry, bees, pigs and more), self sufficient building techniques, alternative energy and earning an income.
- Discuss the nature and scope of self sufficiency.
- Explain the importance of good nutrition and health.
- Explain the importance of suitable clothing and clothing care.
- Explain the relevance and application of horticulture to self sufficiency.
- Explain the cultivation and use of herbs.
- Explain the main requirements for successfully raising animals.
- Explain the fundamentals of caring for grazing animals.
- Explain the available alternatives to eating meat.
- Discuss various building techniques that can be used to construct buildings.
- Discuss alternatives to conventional energy sources.
- Determine and describe accessible craft and country skills that may contribute to self sufficiency.
- Analyse potential changes in lifestyle to increase a person’s level of self-sufficiency.
Your TutorKaren Huntley MSc Marketing Management (Food Related Industries), PDC, PG Dip Organic Farming, Cert Marketing, BA. Professional Development Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (Coventry University/Thrive, UK)
Karen has a strong background and passion for organic food production systems, nutrition and community agriculture. Karen also has experience and training in Permaculture (PDC), horticultural therapy, community organic enterprises as well as being an experienced bee keeper.