Genetics Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Genetics is a biology discipline that examines the science of heritability, genes, and the natural variations in living organisms. The rapid development of the field of biotechnology has also incorporated genetics to include genetic engineering and modification of organisms for specific purposes.
This course will introduce you to the field of genetics starting with an introduction to genetics as well as cellular biology. Students then learn about chromosomes, genetic interactions, biochemistry of DNA and chromosomes, mutations, DNA repair and recombination and then finish the course with more applied subjects such as developmental, population and applied genetics.
This course is suitable for:
- plant and animal breeders
- anyone involved with reproduction who needs a deeper understanding of genetics
- anyone interested in this fascinating topic.
- To acknowledge the history of modern genetics and interpret important terminology in genetics work used, specifically relating to areas of study such as plant and animal sciences, conservation of plant and animal species, agriculture, horticulture, veterinary medicine and human health sciences.
- To develop understanding of the structures (organelles) of cells and comprehend their basic functions specifically relating to cell division.
- To discuss the main ways features are inherited.
- To develop knowledge of biological interactions and understand the significance of gene expression in heritability.
- Describe chemicals and reactions involved in genetics including protein synthesis.
- Explain the nature and management of genetic mutations.
- Develop understanding of how DNA repair mechanisms, and recombination to understand the significance of DNA cleaving and re-joining.
- Demonstrate an understanding of genetics to explain how variations occur in living organisms both within and beyond species.
- Explain both the significance and dynamics of genetic variation within populations of different living organisms.
- Describe how genetic knowledge is applied to a variety of human endeavors.
Your TutorJodie Walpole Bachelor of Applied Science (Food & Nutrition), Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching
Jodie is a qualified Nutritionist and Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching.
Jodie brings to Careerline over 15 years corporate nutrition and health experience as a result of working for several large multinational food and beverage companies. Jodie is passionate about all aspects of nutrition, health and wellness with particular interest in weight management and childhood obesity.
More recently Jodie completed her Advanced Practitioner of Life Coaching course and is a certified Life Coach with hours of practical experience. As a Life Coach Jodie enjoys working with clients to close the gap between where they are currently in their lives and where they want to be.
Jodie is also an experienced tutor enjoying the challenge of working with students to reach their full potential.