Life Writing Course (Write Your Biography) Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Learn to Write Biographies
A biography is the story of someone’s life and can either extend for their whole life or just a specific period. This course will give you the skills you need to write biographies and will answer your questions such as how to research for writing a biography, how do I plan a biography, how do I set the context and much more.
- 100 hours
- Self paced flexibly study
- 1-on-1 tutor support
- Determine when, why, where and how biographies are written.
- Determine sources of information and then acquire appropriate information for a biography.
- To decide on the type of biography and context in which it should be developed, based upon researched information.
- Write different types of short biographies to meet different purposes.
- Analyse a life to determine the structure, style and content of a comprehensive biography that could become a small book, large book, or screenplay.
- Plan a type of biography.
- Determine how a biographical manuscript may be dealt with after writing is completed by the author; to produce and market a finished product.
- Apply knowledge and skills developed throughout this course, to research and produce a biographical short story.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
1. Scope and Nature of Biographical Writing
- The difference between a biography and autobiography
- Unauthorised biographies
- Using ghost writers in biographies
- Choosing your subject
- Biography vs. Memoir
2. Researching a Biography
- Types of Evidence
- Using Evidence
- Fair Use
- Where to find evidence
- Conducting an Interview
- How to deal with conflicting sources and information
- Citations and Referencing
3. Developing Context
- Determining Your Theme
- Developing the theme
- Themes and Structure
- Using Context
4. Short Biographies
- Principles of the Short Biography
- Distilling Information
- Preparing to write from life experience
5. Comprehensive Biographies
- What makes a comprehensive biography comprehensive?
- Writing a Great Biography
- Voice in Writing
6. Planning a Biography
- The Short Outline
- The Detail-Heavy Outline
- Outlining the biography
- Defining a theme, writing to a central theme
- Word Budget
- Organising Chapter Content
7. Editing and Marketing a Biography
- Writing a Sales Package
- The Publishing Process
- Publishing Processes for Ebooks
- Self-Publishing Your Work
- Distributing and Selling your Work
- Grants for Writing
8. Project – Writing a Biographical Story
- In this final lesson, you will bring together everything that you have been learning to undertake research and construct a first draft of a biographical piece of between 2,000 and 4,000 words.
Your TutorLiselle Turner Content Writer & Founder of SCRIPTIO | B. Business (Marketing), Dip Hospitality Management, Cert IV TAE
Liselle is a content writer and project manager. In addition to her background in advertising, she has worked in the learning and development industry (e.g. TAFE QLD, Mission Australia, Work and Income NZ). She holds a Bachelor of Business, a Diploma of Hospitality and Management, and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.