This course will deepen your knowledge of Biochemistry with an emphasis on plants. This is an advanced course in biochemistry that will give you a deep understanding on how life processes work, where living organism obtain their energy and nutrients and how these are processed to renew and develop new living materials. A great course of horticulturalists and those interested in plant biochemical processes.
- Explain the interaction between the various biochemical processes within the plant cell.
- Explain the process of glycolysis.
- Describe the transport mechanism of bio-chemicals through plant membranes.
- Explain the processes of electron transfer and oxidative phosphorylation, and their importance to energy regulation in plants.
- Explain the structure and metabolism of carbohydrates.
- Explain the metabolism of lipids.
- Explain the processes of photosynthesis and the role of the light and dark reactions of photosynthesis in the growth of plants.
- Explain biochemical nucleotide metabolism.
- Explain enzyme reactions and catalysis in biochemistry.
- Explain metabolic processes relevant to reproduction in plants.
- Explain other biochemical processes including biochemical communication through hormones.
Detailed Course Outline
There are 11 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Metabolism
- Energy Transfer within the Cell – sources of energy, components of the cell, catabolic metabolism, anabolic metabolism, energy exchanges, free energy, enthalpy, entropy, energy transfers, ATP, Oxidation, enzyme catalysed reactions, coenzymes, hydrolysis, hydration reaction, phosphorylation.
- ATP – ATP Synthase
- Glycolysis – activation, ATP production from Glycolysis, Metabolism of Pyruvate
- Pentose Phosphate Pathway
Movement Through Membranes
- Lipids and Fats
- Kinetics and Mechanisms of Transport – mediated and non-mediated transport, active transport
Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation
- Electron Transport
- Oxidative Phosphorylation
- Citric Acid Cycle/Tricarboxylic Cycle
- Controls of ATP Production
Sugar and Polysaccharide Metabolism
- Monosaccharides, Disaccharides, Oligosaccharides, Polysaccharides, Glycoproteins
- Starches – Glycogen and Starch
- Starch Biosynthesis – Transitory Starch in Chloroplasts, Sucrose and Starch Regulation
- Carbohydrate Metabolism
- Gluconeogenesis – The Glyoxylate Pathway
- Cell Wall
- Fatty Acid Biosynthesis by Plastids – Saturated Fatty Acid Biosynthesis
- Glycerolipid and Phospholipid Formation
- Triacylglycerol (TAG) Formation
- Fatty Acid Oxidation in the Peroxisomes/Glyoxysomes
- Wound Sealing
- Photosynthesis – Chloroplasts, Light Reactions
- Dark Reactions – Carboxylation, Regeneration, the Calvin Cycle
- Photorespiration – C4 Respiration
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Assimilation of Ammonia into Amino Acids – Purines, Pyramidines
- Formation of Deoxyribonucleotides
- Nucleotide Degradation
- Enzyme Classification
- Enzyme Kinetics
- Enzyme Regulation
Reproductive Processes in Plants
- Types of Plant Reproduction – Sexual and Asexual Reproduction
- Gene Expression
- What are Genes?
- Ribonucleic Acid (RNA) and Protein Synthesis – Overview, Transcription, Translation
- Eukaryotic DNA Replication – DNA Polymerases, Leading and Lagging Strains, Telomeres and Telomerase
- Growth Regulators – Auxins, Cytokinins, Giberellins, Ethylene
- Other Hormones – Antiauxins, Growth Inhibiters, Growth Retardants, Growth Simulators, Defoliants, Unclassified Plant Growth Regulators
- Use of Plant Hormones in Horticulture – Hormone Products
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below to get your free info pack.
Our science courses are taught by a range of different tutors depending on the area of expertise. We have specialised tutors in environmental science, animal (veterinary) science, human nutrition and health science and so on. At enrollment you will be assigned your tutor who is an expert in that field. You will receive a welcome email from them within 1 - 2 days of enrollment so you will be able to contact them as soon as you need to.
Some subjects such as biochemistry are an integral part of many sciences including animal (veterinary science), human health science and many parts of environmental science. We have many experienced tutors who are qualified to teach introductory biochemistry. Depending upon your particular interest in biochemistry we will assign a tutor in the appropriate field at enrollment.
About Careerline Courses
Careerline (or CLC) has been in business since 2011. We offer over 360 online short courses with great features such as self-paced study, the choice of online or correspondence (just pick printed material when enrolling) study all with full tutor support from our incredibly talented tutors.
Our mission is to provide affordable, flexible education to anyone, anywhere, anytime! We believe that education should be available to all and that no education is wasted. We are passionate about giving straight up advice on what are the best options for our future students and if we don’t think a course if right for your purposes we’ll tell you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.