Anger Management is an online program that caters to those who support or are confronted by people with anger management issues. In this course, you will learn psychological therapeutic techniques and exercises, techniques to control anger & aggression, skills to reduce the triggers, degrees, and effects of an angered emotional state.
This specialized course will help you understand anger and explore techniques that can be useful in the application of anger management. Our home study program is ideally designed for the student’s convenience by self-paced distance learning. This course is especially suitable for counselors, teachers, community works or anyone needing to understand and work with anger management.
- Discuss the nature and scope of anger including psychological and physiological manifestations.
- Explain the biological, social and psychological causes of anger and the strategies used by counsellors to deal with the underlying causes in an effort to diffuse the build up of anger in people
- Explain how anger problems can be addressed through the application of cognitive behavioural counselling
- Discuss anger management techniques to diffuse violent outbursts and manage violence
- Consider anger management issues for people with specific mental health issues.
- Explain the causes of anger in children and adolescents, and review a wide range of techniques for addressing those issues.
- Determine the nature and scope of anger management services in society.
- Identify ways to support clients seeking anger management services
- Evaluate a situation where anger is becoming a problem and determine an appropriate course to follow in response to the problem.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Nature and Scope of Anger
- The autonomic nervous system
- Anger and arousal
- Galvanic skin resistance
- Voice stress analyser
- Degrees of arousal
- Difficulties of arousal theories
- Theories of emotion
- James Lange theory
- Cannon Bard theory
- Schachter’s theory
- Lazarus’s appraisal theory
- Weiner’s attribution
- Averill’s social construction theory
- Facial feedback theory
Managing Anger with Counselling
- Causes of anger
- Breaking personal rules
- Self defence
- Expression of anger
- Counselling strategies
- Empty chair technique
- Recognising psychological arousal
- Thought stopping
- Relaxation exercises
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Time out
- Assertiveness training
- Three steps in assertiveness training
- Five stage assertiveness training interview
- Mental blocks to assertiveness
Managing Anger with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Identifying antecedents
- Assessment of anger
- Beginning therapy
- Teaching CBT
- Disputing inferences and evaluations
- Independence and blocks to change
- Use of imagery
- Emotional insight
- Working with anger problems in CBT
- Problems with CBT for anger management
Anger Management Techniques for Violence
- Anger and violence
- Causes of violence
- Cold violence
- Hot violence
- Reactive violence
- Tips for dealing with a violent client
- Strategies for violence prevention
- Action after violence
- Managing violence against others
- Mental disorders and violence
Anger Management for People with Mental Health Issues
- DSM dimensions to diagnose mental illness
- Dementia and anger
- Supporting clients with dementia
- Stages of grief
- Tasks of mourning
Managing Anger in Children and Adolescents
- Temper tantrums
- Older children and anger
- Psychological changes in girls
- Psychological changes in boys
- Eating problems
- Adults sharing anger
Anger Management for People with Special Difficulties
- People with personality disorders
- Borderline personality disorders and treatment
- Psychopath and treatment
- Roid rage, symptoms and abuse
Anger Management Services
- Anger management clinics
- Courses and workshops
- Group and individual work
- Conflict management
- Conflict handling techniques
- Life coaching
- Setting up an anger management consultancy
Deciding on a Course of Action
- PBL Project to create and present a plan of anger management to support an individual experiencing serious anger difficulties.
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Dr Nicholas Harris B. Psychology (Hons I), PhD
Nicholas is a social psychologist; he studies and teaches on topics involving group-level and individual-level behavior, as well as examining the effect of the situation. Nicholas has been involved in writing textbooks and research papers in psychology. Nicholas’ teaching experience is vast; he has taught social psychology, indigenous and intercultural psychology, statistics, research methods, psychological measurement and assessment, personality, organizational psychology, counselling skills, and ethics. Nicholas has also completed a number of short courses on counselling and suicide prevention, and has volunteered for a number of years with Lifeline. Nicholas has supervised a number of honours and master’s research theses.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.