- Learn psychology fundamentals
- Gain a foundation for counselling and psychology
- Dont waste time, study from home
- As a direct practical application of this course you will gain confidence in your own study
New students want to gain a strong foundation in psychology and understanding people.
This psychology course provides students with a foundation from which to study animal and human behaviour. This course will develop your ability to analyse aspects of a person's psychological state and apply derived knowledge to motivate that person. This provides a solid introduction/foundation for further studies of psychology covering the nature and scope of psychology, neurological and environmental effects on behaviour, personality, consciousness, perception, needs, drives and motivation.
- Explain the nature and scope of psychology.
- Explain characteristics of the neurological basis of behaviour.
- Explain environmental effects on behaviour.
- Explain the differences between consciousness and perception.
- Explain the effect of personality on behaviour.
- Explain psychological development.
- Apply different techniques to motivate people.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 7 lessons in this course:
The Nature and Scope of Psychology
- Different approaches to psychology.
- It’s all common sense isn’t it?
- Key issues in psychology.
- Free will and determinism.
- Applying psychology.
- Developing questionnaires.
Neurological Basis of Behaviour
- Structures of the nervous system.
- Central nervous system.
- Peripheral nervous system.
- How nerves transmit messages.
- The brain and method.
- Methods of investigating the brain.
- Brain damage.
- The strange case of Phineas Gage.
- Split brain operations.
- Localisation of function.
Environmental Effects on Behaviour
- Learning and behaviour.
- Learning and memory.
- Memory improvement strategies.
Consciousness and Perception
- Status of consciousness in psychology.
- Nature of consciousness.
- Relationship between consciousness and perception.
- Unconscious and subconscious.
- Altered state of consciousness.
- Day dreams.
- Sleeping and dreaming.
- Chemically altered perception.
- Selective attention.
- Factors affecting perception.
- Perceptual biases.
- Theories of personality.
- Personality traits.
- Theoretical approaches to human personality.
- Id, ego and superego.
- Oedipus Complex.
- Electra Complex.
- Psychological defence mechanisms.
- Genes and personality.
- Personality disorders.
- Multi-trait theories.
- Nature v. nurture.
- Environment and development.
- Stages of development.
- Moral development.
- Psychosexual development.
- Psychosocial development.
- Adult psychological development.
- Criticisms of stage theories.
Needs, Drives and Motivation
- Behaviourist theories of human motivation.
- Maslow’s theory of human motivation.
- Complementary and conflicting motives
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Dr Nicholas Harris B. Psychology (Hons I), PhD
Nicholas is a social psychologist; he studies and teaches on topics involving group-level and individual-level behavior, as well as examining the effect of the situation. Nicholas has been involved in writing textbooks and research papers in psychology. Nicholas’ teaching experience is vast; he has taught social psychology, indigenous and intercultural psychology, statistics, research methods, psychological measurement and assessment, personality, organizational psychology, counselling skills, and ethics. Nicholas has also completed a number of short courses on counselling and suicide prevention, and has volunteered for a number of years with Lifeline. Nicholas has supervised a number of honours and master’s research theses.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.