Commercial Organic Vegetable Growing Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Learn the processes required to tap into the commercial organic vegetable market. This extensive course provides a wealth of knowledge and practical skills and shows you how to market your produce.
Learn all aspects of organic vegetable production.
- Gain practical knowledge in this growing industry.
- Enhance your job prospects.
- Study in your own time at your own pace.
Organic vegetables are crops with a future. The demand for organically grown vegetables is presently a major growth area in commercial horticulture. This course is a great starting point in learning all aspects of organic vegetable production.
- Discuss general horticulture and plant taxonomy principles
- Describe a range of cultivation and planting techniques
- Explain soil properties, and their relationship to organic plant production
- Diagnose basic soil nutrient deficiencies
- Discus major and minor commercial vegetable varieties
- Describe a variety of pest and disease management principles
- Explain the use of seed in commercial organic agriculture, including storage, viability, germination, genetic purity, and hybridisation
- Discuss the principles of greenhouse growing
- Describe a variety of irrigation methods suitable for organic vegetable production
- Explain organic weed control methods
- Explain issues relating to harvesting and marketing of vegetables
Your TutorKaren Huntley MSc Marketing Management (Food Related Industries), PDC, PG Dip Organic Farming, Cert Marketing, BA. Professional Development Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (Coventry University/Thrive, UK)
Karen has a strong background and passion for organic food production systems, nutrition and community agriculture. Karen also has experience and training in Permaculture (PDC), horticultural therapy, community organic enterprises as well as being an experienced bee keeper.