Cut Flower Orchids Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Orchids thrive naturally in very cold temperate climates through to tropical locations; and allows you to choose appropriate species and treat them according to location. It is feasible to grow orchids as cut flowers almost anywhere. Orchids are one of the most commercially viable cut flower crops (partially due to their beauty, and also due to their long shelf life). Learn how to produce orchid flowers for the cut flower trade.
- Explain the plant naming system, identify flower parts and compile resources
- Describe cultural techniques applicable to orchid growing
- Describe propagation techniques used for orchids
- Explain tissue culture propagation techniques
- Describe protected plant production facilities suited to orchids
- Explain the day to day management of a greenhouse
- Manage Pests and diseases on an orchid flower crop
- Explain management of an orchid enterprise and the harvest and post harvest of an orchid crop.
- Explain marketing techniques used for cut flower orchids
- Describe a major orchid group
Your TutorKaren Huntley MSc Marketing Management (Food Related Industries), PDC, PG Dip Organic Farming, Cert Marketing, BA. Professional Development Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (Coventry University/Thrive, UK)
Karen has a strong background and passion for organic food production systems, nutrition and community agriculture. Karen also has experience and training in Permaculture (PDC), horticultural therapy, community organic enterprises as well as being an experienced bee keeper.