Editing B Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
This is the course for you if you are wishing to:
- Become a skilled Editor or Proof Reader
- Sharpen your skills in editing
- Seek employment in publishing, marketing or start your own Proof Reading business
- Start any time and study at your own pace.
- Review the current state of editing, determining its scope, nature and trends
- Identify and edit text errors that commonly occur in a variety of publishing situations.
- Write and edit a variety of different headings and captions.
- Select, edit and mark up graphic illustrations.
- Edit the layout or design of a publication.
- Identify an appropriate style for the context of a publication, and edit the text to match the determined style.
- Edit text in order to remove legal and/or ethical risks
- Apply a broad range of skills to editing of a lengthy manuscript in a balanced way.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
1. Introduction to Editing
- State of the Art
- Scope and nature of the work
- Traditional and modern editing
- Editing terminology
- Writing job specifications
2. Refining Text Exiting
- Common traps
- Proofing documents
- How much editing is appropriate
- Who does what
- More terminology
3. Editing Headings in something
- Headlines and Captions
- Supporting material
- More terminology
4. Proofing Graphics
- Line drawings
- Technical illustrations
- Half tones
- Electronic processing of graphic images
- Bits and color depth
- Pixels and resolution
- Color and black and white
- Image formats
- Types of files
- Processing graphics
- Choosing and designing with photos
- What does the editor need to do with graphics
- Electronic publishing
5. Editing and Design
- Layout and design
- Page Layout
- Desktop publishing software
- What is desktop publishing
- Image manipulation
6. Matching Style and Context
- Targeting the reader
7. Legal and Ethical Issues
- Legal and ethical issues in publishing
- Copyright free materials
- Copyright misconceptions
- Contract law
- Right to privacy
- Reporting restrictions
- Law and the internet
- CD/film and other electronic publishing
8. Editing Project
- A practical editing project to end the course and utilize your new skills.
Your TutorLiselle Turner Content Writer & Founder of SCRIPTIO | B. Business (Marketing), Dip Hospitality Management, Cert IV TAE
Liselle is a content writer and project manager. In addition to her background in advertising, she has worked in the learning and development industry (e.g. TAFE QLD, Mission Australia, Work and Income NZ). She holds a Bachelor of Business, a Diploma of Hospitality and Management, and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.