Starting a small business can be a rewarding vocation if done properly but there are many challenges. If you have never run a successful business before; you almost certainly need this course. You may already have ideas about a service or products you want to supply; but don't set any of your ideas in stone until you first understand the business world and the market place; and take the time to go through a logical and careful process of assessing risks, and planning the launch and development of your new enterprise.
This course will teach you the approach to make your business start-up a success, and what to avoid in the early stages to bring your business inspiration to profit.
- Discuss the nature of small business and the skills required to run one successfully.
- Explain the legal requirements, restrictions and the costs of running a small business.
- Describe the different aspects and considerations associated with starting a new or buying an existing business.
- Explain the marketing process.
- Explain the importance of planning in the running of a successful business.
- Explain the importance of record keeping and the principles of bookkeeping.
- Determine sales and promotions strategies in small business.
- Explain the importance of budgets.
- Develop a business plan.
- Implement a business plan.
- Identify factors that affect profitability.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
Introduction to Small Business
- Types of business and communication.
- Types of language.
- Office equipment.
The Business World
- Consultancy services.
- Law and business.
- The landscape industry.
- Business letters.
- Communication systems.
- Different types of ventures.
- Buying and starting a business.
- What is involved in marketing, advertising, selling, communication.
- Organising and planning to ensure the success of the business.
- Financial statements.
- Balance sheets.
- Profit and loss statements.
- Sales method.
- Telephone canvassing.
- Assets and liabilities.
Developing a 12 Month Business Plan
Implementing a Business Plan
- Communication with employees.
- Planning the development of the business.
Reviewing Progress in a New Business
- Evaluate and decide on business plan updates.
- Increase profit
- Reduce expenditure
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Thea Roberts B.Comm., M.A. (Leisure Management), Grad. Dip. Ed. Fitness Leaders Cert., I.T.C.
With over a decade of hospitality experience at all levels from recreation to resort General Manager, combined with both a love of education and business, Thea is a very welcome addition to Careerline Courses. Thea is actively involved in continuing professional development in both hospitality and business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.