Pasture Management Online Course
From: $50.00 Inc GST / week for 16 weeks
100 hrs (12 months)
Yes unlimited by email
About this Course
Pasture management is at the heart of any livestock management. Good pasture not only reduces feed costs and increases profitability and increases productive land but also maintains livestock health by avoidance of toxic plants. Pasture management is relevant for all pastoral animals including cattle, goats, sheep and horses. This course is suitable for both those already managing existing pastures and those who wish to establish successful new pastures.
- Determine criteria for selecting appropriate varieties of plants for a pasture.
- Identify characteristics of a pasture plant which are relevant to both making an identification, and to considering its value as a pasture species.
- Evaluate the potential of given sites for pasture development programs.
- Explain the procedures used in managing the establishment of pasture.
- Explain the techniques used in managing pasture which is already been established
- Assess the commercial and nutritional value of pasture species in the context of farm, animal feed, and determine appropriate ways of managing stock.
- Develop an appropriate work program for the management of a pasture by a farmer.
Your TutorKaren Huntley MSc Marketing Management (Food Related Industries), PDC, PG Dip Organic Farming, Cert Marketing, BA. Professional Development Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (Coventry University/Thrive, UK)
Karen has a strong background and passion for organic food production systems, nutrition and community agriculture. Karen also has experience and training in Permaculture (PDC), horticultural therapy, community organic enterprises as well as being an experienced bee keeper.