This course is one of two Weight Loss Courses that Careerline offers, the other is Weight Loss Consultancy. This course is intended to give you the skills and understanding that relate to nutritional aspects of weight loss management. The Weight Loss Consultancy Course is designed for those who want to work in this industry or start their own business.
This course provides a very sound foundation for anyone to advise others (eg. as a life coach, nutritional advisor, etc) or to understand and better manage your own weight problems; or those of your family.
Learn to explain all aspects of how nutrition affects weight loss and weight gain.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
- What is obesity
- ‘Types’ of Obesity … Hyperplasia or Hypertrophy of Fats Cells
- Dietary Trends and the Incidence of Obesity
- Factors Influencing Food Intake and Habits
- Physiological factors which determine food intake
- Environmental and behavioural factors which determine food intake:
- Causes of Obesity (Genetics, Lifestyle, Exercise, Eating habits, Water intake, Changing metabolism through life, Medical conditions and disease, Psychology)
- Health Risks of Obesity
- Understanding Weight
- Body composition
- Evaluation Techniques
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Why we need food
- Nutrient Reference Value (NRV)
- Understanding Digestion and Absorption
- How we process food
- Basic Roles of Major Digestive Organs
- Food Composition (Carbohydrates, Protens, Fats, etc)
- Need for Fluids
- The Glycaemic Index (GI)
- Calculating Energy Requirements
- Basal Metabolic Rate
- Food Pyramid and Recommended Daily Intake (RDI)
- What is the recommended intake of nutrients?
- New food pyramid and normal eating patterns
- Childhood Obesity
Diets -Fads, Fiction and Fact
- A Review of Popular Approaches to Weight Loss and Control
- Vegetarian Diets
- Very Low Calorie and Liquid Diets
- Commercial Low Calorie Meal Substitutes
- Commercial Low Calorie Meal Substitutes
- Blood type diet
- Food combining
- Detox Diets
- Low carbohydrate diets
- Low Glycaemic index diet (low GI)
- Low fat diets
- Fat Substitutes
- Fat burning diets
- Guidelines for Childhood Weight Loss
- Metabolism … Keeping the Metabolic Rate Stable
- Making the best food choices
- Nutritional Education
- Teaching Healthy Eating Habits to Children
- Health Initiatives Targeting Obesity
- Public Health Information
- Legislative controls
- Methods that Work
- Assessment of Clients or Patients
- Modifying Behaviour
- Prescribing Diets
- Life Coach and Personal Trainer
- Weight Loss Hypnosis
- Self-help Groups
- Health Clubs, Health Farms and Holiday Retreats
- A Holistic Approach
Modifying Eating Behaviour
- Key Stages in Behaviour Changes
- Cultural food patterns
- How to Make Lifelong Changes
- Assess Current Diet (patterns and nutritional value)
- Plan for Change
- Seek Motivation and Support from Others
- Improving Health Through Food
- Diseases Linked to Obesity
- Changing Unhealthy Habits
Restricting Calorie Intake
- Understanding Energy and Metabolism
- Energy Metabolism
- Age (Growth and Aging) and Metabolism
- Activity and Metabolism
- Calorie Restricted Diets
Medical Conditions: Hormones, Drugs, Eating Disorders
- Nutrition During Disease
- Childhood Diabetes
- Link between Medication and Diet
- Drugs and Hormones Prescribed for Weight Management
- Diet Pills
- Thyroid hormone
- Somatropin (Growth Hormone
- Weight Loss Surgery
- Lipoplasty (Liposuction)
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy tuck)
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
Planning a Diet
- A major Problem Based Learning Project
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Jodie Walpole Bachelor of Applied Science (Food & Nutrition), Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching
Jodie is a qualified Nutritionist and Advanced Practitioner in Life Coaching. Jodie brings to Careerline over 15 years corporate nutrition and health experience as a result of working for several large multinational food and beverage companies. Jodie is passionate about all aspects of nutrition, health and wellness with particular interest in weight management and childhood obesity. More recently Jodie completed her Advanced Practitioner of Life Coaching course and is a certified Life Coach with hours of practical experience. As a Life Coach Jodie enjoys working with clients to close the gap between where they are currently in their lives and where they want to be. Jodie is also an experienced tutor enjoying the challenge of working with students to reach their full potential.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.