Home Vegetable Growing Online Course
Learn how to make your own vegetable garden at home.
Study vegetable growing in your own home, supported by our expert tutors.
Understand the principles of growing vegetables at home and learn how to get a healthy crop.
Watching plants grow from seed to harvest and knowing that the armful of vegetables you have just gathered for the evening meal will be on the table within an hour or two of harvest can be an exciting and satisfying experience. And you will also know that you and your family are eating the freshest, healthiest chemical free produce.
This course is recommended with Home Fruit Growing and/or Home Propagation to get the most out of your garden.
- Compile a resource file of organisations related to home vegetable growing
- Compile reviews of sixteen different vegetables suitable for growing at home
- Carry out basic soil tests on two different soils
- Obtain or make up a propagating mix
- Make a vegetable garden
- Identify weed species in a vegetable garden and suggest control methods
- Make notes about pests and diseases in a home vegetable garden
- Contact several chemical suppliers and obtain brochures or technical information sheets on weedicides and pesticides appropriate for use on vegetable crops
- Contact a few greenhouse companies and obtain both literature and current prices
- Either write to or visit a company (or companies) which supply irrigation equipment.
- Obtain catalogues, brochures, etc
- Try drying, bottling or freezing a vegetable you have not preserved before.
- List 20 different vegetables with information about their culture and harvest
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
Detailed Course Outline..
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- One Way of Growing Vegetables
- Understanding Plant Names
- Cultivation and Planting
- Different Growing Methods
- Review of Major Vegetable Varieties
- Describe production of some of the varieties of vegetable which are widely and commonly grown by home gardeners.
- Pest, Disease and Weed Control
- Evaluate and determine treatments for a range of common pest, disease and weed problems that affect vegetables.
- Hydroponic and Greenhouse Growing
- Determine and describe methods for producing a range of vegetable crops out of season.
- Lesser Grown Varieties and Herbs
- Describe production of some of the varieties of vegetable which are less commonly grown by home gardeners.
- Testing to See if it Needs Water
- The do’s and don’ts of watering
- Other Ways to Reduce Watering Needs
- Watering Systems
- Harvesting, Storing and Using Vegetables
- Preserving & Processing Your Food
- Bottling Tomatoes
- Managing the Freezer
- Vegetables you can Freeze
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design. Meanwhile the business has covered a variety of Garden Design projects, from wildflower gardens to seaside situations, and has included some work with Chelsea Gold multi-winner John Moreland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.