Learn how to plan, lay out and construct your own home garden and how to identify the plants most suited to your climate and situation.
Whether you want a garden which you can work in, play in or simply look at and feel proud of then this course is for you.
- Learn the principles of landscaping for your own home.
- Study to develop your own landscaping business.
- Understand the best plant choices.
- Study in your own home supported by our expert tutors.
The finale stage of this course is a project to help you develop a stunning garden.
- Understand the design procedure and the principles of landscape design
- Develop knowledge of garden styles through history and apply this to your own designs
- Develop skills in graphical techniques for plan drawing
- Develop knowledge of soil properties and their relevance to home horticulture
- Understand the principles and practices of basic landscape construction
- Develop knowledge of pests and weeds, and their management in home horticulture
- Develop skills in planting and pruning for home gardens
- Develop knowledge of lawns and surfaces appropriate to home landscaping
- Develop knowledge of landscape furnishings and other features appropriate for home gardens
- Utilise skills developed during this course to develop a landscape design for a home garden.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
Detailed Course Outline..
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Designing Gardens
- Site Analysis
- Deciding What You Want
- Step by Step – Creating the Concept
- Step by Step – How to Design a Garden Room
- Garden Room Components – What to Put in Your Garden Room
- Styles of Gardens
- Garden Styles
- Japanese Gardens
- Mexican-Style Gardens
- Drawing Plans – Designing Gardens
- Where to Start: Take it Step by Step!
- What type of garden is needed?
- Where the Garden Meets the House
- Understanding Soils
- Shaping Sloping Ground
- Settling Soil
- Basic Landscape Construction
- Building with Concrete
- Weeds & Pests
- Ways to Control Weeds
- How to Keep Weeds Out of a Lawn
- Weeds in Pavement
- Weeds in the Garden Bed
- Natural Pest Control
- Integrated Pest Management
- Planting and Pruning
- Making Garden Beds
- Raised Beds
- Sunken Beds
- No-Dig Garden Beds – One Method
- Planting for a Cottage Garden
- How to Use Plants in the Cottage Garden
- What to Plant in Damp Spots
- Creating a Bog Garden
- Lawns, Paving and Other Surfacing
- Paving Tips
- Garden Features
- Factors to Consider When Choosing or Designing Features
- Layout Problems with Playground Structures
- Edging and Garden Borders
- Garden Art
- Framing the View
- Developing “YOUR” Garden
- Outdoor Living Areas
- Gardens for Children
- Garden Pavilions
- Minimising Fire Hazards Around the House and Garden
When you have completed your lessons you have the option of taking the optional exam. It's ok if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate.
Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design. Meanwhile the business has covered a variety of Garden Design projects, from wildflower gardens to seaside situations, and has included some work with Chelsea Gold multi-winner John Moreland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.