All writing should be clearly understood by the reader
If you’re dashing off a quick email to your workmates or preparing a complex business report, your writing must clear, concise, and correctly spelt and structured. During this course you will learn the fundamentals of correct and efficient writing.
- For those who wish to brush up on their writing skills, or acquire the basic skills that they should have but did not develop properly while at school.
- Build confidence and ability to write better at work, at home, anywhere
- Learn to write clearly and efficiently
- Learn to communicate thoughts in the minimum number of words, and without any ambiguity.
- Define the nature and scope of writing.
- Discuss the way written sentences and paragraphs are properly structured.
- Develop an increased capacity to write clearly.
- Develop improved conciseness in writing.
- Develop and improve punctuation skills.
- Apply basic writing skills more efficiently in a range of situations.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 6 Lessons in this course:
- Scope of writing -where is writing used?
- What is effective writing
- Good writing is direct
- Good writing is objective
- Variety is good in writing
- Understanding human communication
- The communication process
- Types of communication (verbal, non verbal, etc)
- Communication channels
- Communicating efficiently
- Writing for a purpose
- Understand your reader
Basic Writing Skills
- Parts of speech
- Types of nouns -proper, common, collective
- Possessive nouns and pronouns
- Types of verbs: regular, irregular etc.
- Adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions
- Common grammatical errors: comma splices, fragmented sentences, dangling modifiers, etc
- Sentence construction
- Types of sentence: declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, etc
- Sentence structure
- Constructing sentences
- Combining sentences
- Expanding basic sentences
- Adding modifying words, phrases or clauses.
- Linking words or phrases
- Common causes of confusion: homophones, malapropisms, etc
- Making meanings clear: Illustrative context, glossing, etc
- Informative language
- Persuasive language
- Imaginative language
- Other types of language: colloquial, formal, informal, etc
- Building a paragraph
- General guidelines for effective writing
- Condensing your writing
- Common problems contributing to lack of conciseness
- Active and passive voice
- Condensing text: how to Precise
Punctuation and Accuracy
- Punctuation purpose
- Semi colon, colon, dash, comma
- American or English spelling?
Planning what you write
- Business formats
- Business letters
- Planning what you write
- Writing a media release
- Writing an answer or an essay
- Academic writing, verbs, quotations
- Unpack the question
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.