This course will develop your knowledge of English grammar and your ability to write in English for business and study. The course is aimed at students who can write and speak basic English and wish to strengthen their English language skills, particularly their writing skills.
Students will learn by reading the course notes, completing written and spoken exercises for each lesson, and submitting them for comment and correction. Your tutor will provide ongoing and personalised support.
- Understand the basic rules of grammar
- Apply rules of grammar to construct correct sentences
- Identify word parts – word roots, prefixes and suffixes
- Use word parts to develop vocabulary
- Name the parts of speech
- Understand basic principles of correct sentence construction
- Understand the nature and purpose of a paragraph
- Identify different kinds of language – formal/informal, direct/indirect
- Identify appropriate language for different writing contexts
- Use correct formats for business writing
- Use correct formats for writing for study
- Improve pronunciation
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
Detailed Course Outline...
There are 12 lessons in this course:
- Parts of Speech
- Parts of speech … nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, etc
- Gender; noun gener, pronoun gender
- Adjectives; types of adjectives
- Articles; definite and indefinite
- When to Use an article
- Verb phrases
- Auxillary or Helping Verbs
- Subject – Verb Agreement
- Verb Mood
- Verb Tense
- Present, Past, Mixed, FutureTense
- Verb Voice
- Parts of a Sentence
- Clauses and phrases
- Subject and Predicate
- Roles of a Verb in a Sentence; transitive verbs, Intransitive verbs
- Building and Combining Sentences
- Sentence Construction
- Basic Sentence Patterns
- Verb Position in a Sentence
- Forming Questions
- Expanding Basic Sentences
- Adding Modifying Words, Clauses or Phrases
- Linking words
- Related words
- Word origins
- Word combinations
- Developing Vocabulary
- Formal and informal language
- Connotative and denotative language
- Writing for Different Purposes Part 1
- Writing to obtain and clarify information
- Your Reader
- Method of Communicating
- Guidelines for Effective Writing in English
- Tips for Requesting and Clarifying Information
- Writing for Different Purposes Part 2
- Informative Writing Goals
- Writing to provide information
- What Else are You Communicating; Information, attitude, relationship
- Tips for Providing Information; good, neutral or bad news
- Writing for Business
- Writing letters
- Short reports
- Study Skills
- Understanding concepts
- Essay structure
- Addressing all parts of a topic
- Understanding what is required
- Proof Reading and Editing
- Correcting and refining your document
- Targeting the intended reader
- Special Project
- Researching and writing for three different contexts (work, study, business)
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.