Choose a Course
General Horticulture Courses (36)
- Amenity Horticulture B Online Course
- Biochemistry A (Introduction) (Plants) Online Course
- Botany B (Applied Plant Physiology) Online Course
- Garden Center Management Online Course
- Garden Maintenance Online Course
- Greenhouse Management Online Course
- Horticultural C (Plant Health) Online Course
- Horticultural Marketing Online Course
- Horticultural Resource Management Online Course
- Horticultural Therapy Online Course
- Horticulture A (Introduction) Online Course
- Horticulture B (Plant Knowledge) Online Course
- Nursery Growers Online Course
- Nursery Hands Training Online Course
- Nursery Sales Assistant Online Course
- Operational Business Management A (Horticulture Introduction) Online Course
- Operational Business Management B (Horticulture) Online Course
- Park Management A (Introduction) Online Course
- Plant Pathology Online Course
- Plant Protection Online Course
- Plant Selection & Establishment Online Course
- Plant Taxonomy Online Course
- Practical Horticulture A (Introduction) Online Course
- Practical Horticulture B Online Course
- Short Course in Designing Gardens
- Short Course on Gardening Skills
- Short Course on Plant Health (Pests & Diseases)
- Short Course on Plant Taxonomy
- Short Course on Pruning
- Short Course on Sales Skills for Garden Center Staff
- Short Course on What to Plant and Where
- Soil Microbiome Online Course
- Vertical Farming & Gardening (Short Course)
- Viticulture & Winemaking Course Bundle
- Weed Control Online Course
- Wholesale Nursery Management Online Course
Plant Variety Courses (32)
- Acacias Online Course
- African Violets Online Course
- Australian Native Ferns Online Course
- Australian Native Trees Online Course
- Australian Natives A (Introduction) Online Course
- Australian Natives B Online Course
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons Online Course
- Bonsai Online Course
- Budding and Grafting (Short Course)
- Bush Tucker Plants Online Course
- Cacti and Succulents Course Online
- Carnivorous Plants Online Course
- Conifers Online Course
- Deciduous Trees Online Course
- Eucalypts Online Course
- Ferns Online Course
- Geraniums & Pelargoniums Online Course
- Growing Annuals Online Course
- Growing Camellias Online Course
- Growing Carnations Online Course
- Growing Fuchsias Online Course
- Growing Grevilleas Online Course
- Growing Iris Online Course
- Growing Lavender Online Course
- Growing Orchids Online Course
- Interior Plants (Indoor Plants) Online Course
- Palms & Cycads Online Course
- Perennials Online Course
- Proteas Online Course
- Scented Plants Online Course
- Short Course in Fruits and Vegetables
- Tropical Plants Online Course
Garden Design Courses (13)
- Cottage Garden Design Course Online
- Garden Design (Landscaping) Online Course
- Garden Design II (Landscape Features) Online Course
- Garden Design III (Gardening Styles) Online Course
- Garden History Course Online
- Garden Maintenance Online Course
- Green Walls and Roofs Online Course
- Introduction to Garden Design Online Course
- Natural Garden Design Online Course
- Planning Layout & Construction of Ornamental Gardens Online Course
- Playground Design Online Course
- Short Course in Designing Gardens
- Water Gardening Online Course
Herbs Courses (9)
- Advanced Certificate in Herb Production Online Course
- Aromatherapy Course Online
- Culinary Herbs Online Course
- Growing Lavender Online Course
- Herb Culture (Start Your Own Herb Farm) Online Course
- Herbs (Introductory) Online Course
- Manufacturing Herbal Products Online Course
- Medicinal Herbs Online Course
- Short Course on Medicinal Herbs
This course gets you started, providing a sound foundation from our team of academics who have decades of experience with aquaculture and hydroponics. What to expect: Aquaponics combines plant cultivation with aquaculture to produce edible plants (eg. vegetables, herbs, fruits) and animals (eg. fish, crayfish), from the same system. It can be a highly productive, […]Learn the art of Pruning Pruning is an ancient art. Man has been using it to tame plants for centuries as well as to promote desirable plant growth like flowers and fruits. However, not all plants benefit from pruning and the amount you can safely prune varies from species to species. Some plants only flower […]The Fruit and Vegetable short course is a 20 hour short course that will give you the confidence and the knowledge to start your own fruit and vegetable garden at home. Get to know all of the in’s and out’s of growing fruit and vegetables at home, including the right plants to grow in your […]Learn Essential Gardening Skills in your own pace Gardening can be a lot of fun, a hobby or a job. Without an understanding of the basics though, mistakes are easily made. Time and money can be wasted doing gardening tasks incorrectly, or with the wrong equipment and materials. This short course can be studied in […]Plant Taxonomy (i.e. the scientific identification of plants) has been increasingly sidelined and neglected in horticulture, agriculture, botany and science courses. This is really something that EVERYONE who works with plants should study. This short course is a great way to become proficient in understanding the essentials in plant taxonomy. To the ill informed, it is […]Medicinal Herbs Course (Short course) – a great start for a new career or for those who want know about herbal medicine for their family. If you are curious about using herbs for medicinal purposes, the Medicinal Herbs short course will provide you with a great place to start. This self-guided course leads you through […]Vertical Farming Course – learn to grow crops in small spaces Study vertical gardening online in this short course. Explore ways of growing plants in small spaces for amenity or as a crop. Vertical farming is a logical and effective way of growing vegetables, fruits and herbs in urban areas not only for personal needs, […]It always seems that the more work you do in a garden, the more pest and disease problems seem to appear. For this reason, the keen home gardener and the professional landscaper need to be aware about what pests and diseases they may come in contact with, and how to control them. This Study Guide […]Explore what can be propagated by grafting, what your choices are for different grafting methods, and make better choices about what techniques might be appropriate to use with what cultivars and in what situation, for the best outcome. This is a suitable course: To expand your knowledge of plant propagation options To explore new ways […]What to expect: The citrus genus varies widely in respect to the variety of species and fruit types within it, popular ones being cumquats, limes, lemons, oranges, mandarins and less common fruits like buddha’s hand, pomelos, finger limes and the japanese yuzu. They earn their place in your backyard with divine white scented blooms and […]What to expect: This edible legume crops short course is a thorough explanation of how to identify edible legumes and grow essential legume crops for food. Topic includes chickpeas, lentils, beans, peas, clovers, lupins, lucerne, soybeans and many more legumes that are essential for food supply. How does it work? At the end of each […]Understanding how to use structural features such as arches, pergolas and pavilions are essential in landscaping. What to expect: Other elements are also important to consider, such as choosing the proper plant varieties for each location; maintaining plants in confined spaces; deciding what water features available in the market can be used in landscape, adjustments […]Do you have a great garden center or work in a garden center but want to improve sales skills? This industry-focused 20 hour sales skills course is aimed particularly at garden centers sales staff. Input from the Garden Center of Australia Association and the writing of professionals in this field, has allowed this course to […]Gain the skills and the knowledge in Designing Gardens in this short self-paced course. Designing your own garden can be one of the most creative things that you ever do – producing a living sculpture that gives you years of enjoyment. The secret to good garden design is a plan and having the skills and […]The Planting What Where short course will provide you with an understanding of plant knowledge that will help you select plants that are right for your garden. Whether you are a professional or a home gardener, this course will help ensure that you are not wasting time and money by selecting the wrong plants for your […]
Online Horticulture Courses – Learn to Garden with Us!
Many people are surprised to find out how easy and practical it is to study horticulture online. Our experienced tutors know how to make it easy for you to study gardens and all things green online from home. Our online horticulture courses offer you the chance to study gardening with no prior knowledge required. These courses are practical online courses designed by experts to help you learn with tutor support as you progress through your studies.
Who are these Horticulture Courses for?
Our huge range of horticulture and gardening courses will work for you if you are looking for a fully tutor supported horticulture or an online garden course that is not a huge commitment, that doesn’t cost you the earth but will still get you thinking and learning and most importantly get you the garden or cropping result you want.
Many students do a single subject as a stepping stone to a bigger thing, or find its enough to help start their enterprise, make their garden grow, or get to increase their crop yield.
- home gardeners
- parks and garden staff
- anyone employed in the horticulture industry such as in sports turf management, lawn care, gardeners, landscape design.
- anyone who just enjoys working outdoors
Do I need prior experience before I start?
No, our garden and horticulture certificate courses assume no prior knowledge and are designed as a practical guide to help you learn. You will be supported by your tutor as you progress through your studies.
How long are the courses?
Generally the courses should take you about 100 hours of study. We give you up to 12 months to complete the course, but you can finish faster. Each lesson has a written assignment for you will receive individual feedback from your tutor. There are also self assessment quizzes for each lesson (non assessable).
The strength of our courses is in that each lesson has an assignment, this means you are forced to engage with the content and can’t just skip over an important lesson. By the end of the course you will have really engaged with the course materials and we know that equals learning! You can treat these courses as full time or part time depending on your lifestyle.
Additionally we have a range of horticultural short courses that should take about 20 hours study to complete, perfect if you don’t have much time!
Who are the tutors?
You will get a real tutor who provides you with personalised support and feedback throughout your garden courses, there’s no tick and flick. You will learn with real tutors who will be there for you every step of the way.
When you enrol will receive a welcome email from your tutor. You are free to email them for help or guidance as much as you need to. We employ tutors who are active in their field so the support is by email.
- Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City; Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
- Karen Huntley MSc Marketing Mgt (Food Related Industries), PDC, PG Dip Organic Farming, Cert Marketing, BA. Professional Development Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (Coventry University/Thrive, UK)
Some of the fields of study include identification and maintenance of different types of plant species, improving soil, installing and maintaining displays, conducting site inspections, among others (applied plant science). If you have any questions, just get in touch with your tutor or for administrative questions contact our dedicated student support. Your tutor will be assigned at enrolment and will be available for 1-on-1 coaching and support.
Accreditation and Recognition
All our courses are proudly recognised by the IARC, a premier non-government recognition body. We do not off the Certificate II in Horticulture, Certificate III in Horticulture or the Certificate IV in Horticulture.